Author Topic: CSV1W new question  (Read 4979 times)

FogNorth

• View Profile
CSV1W new question
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
I have decided to replace/disable the discontinued CSV1W with one of the newer replacements.  It would save me alot of time and effort(because of the way my system is installed) if I could add the new replacement at a different location further ahead of CSV1W on the incoming line, IF it is possible to remove the guts of the CSV1W and leave it in place.  By removing the guts of the valve will it then just act as a straight thru item in the line without effecting flow?  Wanted to know before I tear into it and put a new one in place?  Thanks for your time.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV1W new question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:06:07 AM »
The problem with the CSV1W was that when the government made us switch to Low lead brass, the insides flake off in little green chips of copper.  This can make them hard to disassemble.  But if you can get the gut pack out of the CSV1W, you can remove the seat with the rubber disc and put the rest back in the valve, then it will work like a piece of pipe.  But you have to put the diaphragm and top part of the gut pack back in to keep it from leaking from the adjustment screw.

If you get this done or remove the CSV1W completely, then you can add another CSV anywhere upstream of that location.

FogNorth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
Thanks for your reponse.  Is there a blowup diagram of the CSV1W construction(pieces parts) available someplace that I can look at to better understand your narrative description?  If I were to put a new valve in place of the existing one...I would have to cut input and output lines and completely remove the pressure tank and all the mainifold pieces to get to the valve...messy?  UGH. I am hoping I will be able to gut the CSV1W valve successfully.
Oh, your thought on the flaking and problems it may cause if those head on down the line into the pressure tank, pressure gauge, sprinkler valves, etc....certainly don't want to introduce additional issues?   Thanks so much.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »
The gut pack will look similar to the one on our CSV1A as seen at this link.
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_csv1a_parts.html

The part in the dotted blue lines is the gut pack.  If you unscrew the seat on the bottom and leave it out, the valve will just be a piece of pipe, and you will have removed the part that flakes off, so you should be good.

Just unscrew the cap on the valve and pull the gut pack out with some pliers.   Then unscrew the seat on the bottom that has the rubber disc in it.  Then replace the gut pack and screw the top back on.

FogNorth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 03:55:32 PM »
Cary,
Great customer support !  Appreciate you taking the time to help me out.  Alot !!!
Tim

FogNorth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »
Trouble is my middle name (&%$)(*_)67
When I removed the cap things flew out of there in all directions.  I found the spring disc but no spring.  I am assuming there is a small one(since the diagram of the CSV1A has one) and it has to go back in to keep the guts sealed off?  Sorry...hope maybe this is the last time I will bug you....can't promise though..  :-)

FogNorth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 02:35:51 PM »
Found the spring under the pressure tank...amazing how things can hide.  Now the problem is the seat on the bottom with that has the rubber disc in it ..does not come off with a screwdriver, the whole shaft that runs up thru the diaphragm turns and appears to be a solid shaft?  If it is not solid there is no plase to hold the shaft with pliers etc to get the seat with rubber gasket off...am I working an impossible problem here...help please.

FogNorth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »
Got it.  with the biggest pair of channel locks I have, locked up on the brass disc below the threaded end of where the nut goes on ....YAY>>>>   Sorry for all the drama....take care Cary..

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »
Glad you got it.  Sorry for delyed response.