Author Topic: Issues with new pump panel  (Read 2016 times)

lukebarber

• View Profile
Issues with new pump panel
« on: May 22, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »
I recently had an electrician put together a “pump panel” for a 7 1/2 hp centrifugal pump – a Cornell 1.5 WH, 3600 rpm, single phase motor.  Within the pump panel,  he added on a “Pump Saver Plus, Model 235P”.  http://www.clrwtr.com/PDF/SymCom/SymCom-235-Pump-Savers.pdf This is a “flood suction” intake application – approximately 8 pounds pressure coming in – and ample volume – 6” pip poly line, approximately 1000 ft. long from a settling pond, with numerous constant working air vents.  It also has a “Barksdale” low pressure switch – Model# E1H-R90-SO0159 – incorporated into the panel – which is adjusted to it’s minimum at 3 lbs. pressure”.  I have used these in the past on other pump applications, yet not with a “Pump Saver”, and they worked great.
    I tried personally to fire up the pump, yet upon starting the pump, it immediately shut down and could not get it to stay running after opening up the discharge valves.  The electrician came back at my request, and stated “well, I never have wired one of these in, so this is the first time, and I don’t know why my boss added this on – the Pump Saver Plus”.  He also stated “he had never seen a “Barksdale low pressure switch”.
    Every time we tried firing the pump up, where we closed the discharge completely down – or dead headed it -  to start the pump, which it did start, although immediately upon opening the discharge valve, ever so slightly, the Pump Saver Plus kicked in and shut off the pump.  He made numerous attempts and adjustments to the “calibration” and “sensitivity” knobs, yet finally, after 3 hours,  gave up and disconnected the Pump Saver Plus, which then allowed the pump to operate flawlessly, pressuring up the system.   He left stating “well it runs, yet it won’t work with the Pump Saver”. 
    My questions is: Is there anyone that can help me diagnose the issue here in Wyoming?  The electrician charged me over $225 for installing this unit and it can’t be utilized.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Issues with new pump panel
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »
The Pump Saver just won't work with a CSV.  The CSV causes the amps to drop when pumping low flow.  A Pump Saver doesn't have enough adjustability to work with a CSV.  They usually look for a 25% drop in amps and shut down on dry run.  The CSV could be making that pump pull 50% of full load amps, which is a good thing.  You just need a pump protector that can be adjusted to say 49% of load, so it knows the difference between the low amps caused by the CSV, and the slightly lower amps that will happen if it is running dry.

We had to make our own pump protector, as most on the market are not adjustable enough to work with a CSV.  Here is a link to our Cycle Sensor, dry run and rapid cycle protector.
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_sensor.html