Author Topic: Cut in/Cut out problems - New install of PSIDE Kick, CSV1A, and 4.5 Gal Tank  (Read 4382 times)

rlawrence

• View Profile
I just replaced my well equipment with a Wayne 3/4 hp shallow well pump, the PSIDE-Kick kit, but I'm having problems with pressure.  I've wired the pressure switches on the PSIDE Kick and pump motor as illustrated in the instructions.  When I turn on spigot to 2-3 gpm, the pump raises the pressure gauge to 40 psi and gradually falls to about 30 psi.  Then it suddenly dips to 20 psi, at which point the pump cuts in and pressure rises again and cuts out at 40 psi.  The cycle repeats itself.  When the water is shut off, the pressure builds to 40 psi, cuts out and drops to 38 psi.  The needle stays at 38 psi. 

Both pressure gauges are factory set at 40/60.  I haven't adjusted the CSV1A at all, as I assume it is also set at the factory to operate within the 40/60 range.  It seems the system is set to 20/40. I've adjusted to the PSIDE-Kick pressure switch (large nut) to increase the range, but it continues to cut in and out at 20/40.

Please explain what I'm must be missing. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:02:30 PM by rlawrence »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
You still have the old pressure switch on the side of the motor wired in.  Check wiring diagram.  Only use two of the four post in the old pressure switch. They are used just to screw the two wires from the new pressure switch to the motor wires.

rlawrence

• View Profile
Thank you for the quick response!  Actually, I followed the wiring instructions for wiring to a jet pump as illustrated in the documentation that came with the PSIDE-Kick Kit.  Power lines L1 and L2 are connected to the outer posts on the CSV pressure switch.  The two middle posts  (motor) on the CSV pressure switch are connected to the two "motor" posts on the pump's pressure switch as a pass-through.  L1 and L2 on the pump motor's pressure switch are not connected at all.  Therefore, only the pressure switch to the CSV should be/is energized and in control of the system's pressure range, correct? 

I don't think it makes a difference, but it may be helpful to know that the pump is powered for 230v setting on the motor, and not 115v.   

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Voltage doesn't make any difference.  If you are sure the only pressure switch working is the one that came with the PK1A kit, then that pressure switch must not be set correctly from the factory like it should be.  To set a 20/40 switch up to 40/60 as needed, just tighten the large adjustment screw in the pressure switch about 5-6 full turns to the right.  Might need to do a little trial and error to get it working close to 40/60.

rlawrence

• View Profile
Yes, I have done that.  Adjusted the large nut 4 complete turns, which should have increased the pressure range by 10 psi (2-1/2 psi per turn, as I understand).  Made no difference in the pressure reading or the cycling.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Then the pressure switch you are adjusting is not the one in control.  Send some pics of the wiring and setup. 

rlawrence

• View Profile
Well is 80 miles away at my camp.  Best I can do is to send a diagram of how I wired it.  Please see attached.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The wiring in the drawing is correct.  If that is the way it is really wired then I have no idea why the new switch is not in control.  But I still don't think it is because adjusting didn't make any difference AND it should have been a 40/60 switch to start with.

Try adjusting the OLD switch.  If the 20/40 on/off changes in anyway, then it is still not wired correctly.

rlawrence

• View Profile
I really appreciate all your help, Cary!  I'm positive that I've wired it correctly, but of course I'll check to be sure when I go back to the camp.  If it's wired correctly, it may be that the CSV pressure switch is faulty.  Will the system work correctly if the pressure switch on the pump is the only one that is energized?   If not, seems my only other option would be to replace the pressure switch that came with the PSIDE-Kick Kit.   Maybe I could remove the one on the pump and install it near the CSV.  It's different from the one that comes with the kit, and it's not a Square-D.  I think it's a LEFOO.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pressure switches are cheap.  I would be glad to send you another one.  I would have already done so if I thought the pressure switch was the problem.

Yes you can use the pressure switch on the side of the jet pump motor.  But the little sensing tube would need to be extended and plumbed into or past the CSV1A.

What you are describing is not a normal problem with a pressure switch.  I am guessing the problem will be small like a wire out of place or something.

I am out of the office today.  But if you will call 806-885-4445 they will test a switch to make sure it is working at 40/60 and send it to you.  At least that way you will have one with you when you go there, even if it is not the problem.

rlawrence

• View Profile
Oh, wow!  That's very generous.  If I find that I've wired it correctly, and the problem is with the switch, I'll just replace it with the one you send.  That way I won't have to bother with the sensing tube.  Many thanks.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

rlawrence

• View Profile
Thank you again for sending the pressure switch.  However, I'm returning it unused.  You nailed it!  When I returned to camp, I found that I'd wired the M1 and M2 on the CSV1A side to the L1 and L2 on the pump's pressure switch.  Reconnected them to the M1 and M2 of the pump's switch, and all is working great!  Thanks for your patience, and for your generosity. 

Best Regards,

Bob

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Glad you figured it out!  But not worth the freight to send back a switch.  Just put it on the shelf.  If you need an extra it will be there on a holiday or weekend, which is the only time things like this give any trouble.   :)

Just letting us know how you like it is payment enough.

Been doing this 50 years or so.  Don't like to brag but don't miss very often.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:41:13 PM by Cary Austin »