Author Topic: New Pump System  (Read 10304 times)

Mikerf12

• View Profile
New Pump System
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
Hello,

My well pump system is aging and the pump seems likes it is getting close to failing by the noises it’s making.

The current system is a two pipe pump system. The well is a 16’ well with a yield of 25 Gpm.  The static water level 10’.  It is a 4’ concrete well.

The house has two full bathrooms, a washing machine, dishwasher, five outside hose bibs, two of which are utilized for lawn irrigation. The house hot water is produced by a combi boiler. There will also be an acid neutrilizer and water softening system installed once the new pump system is put in. The outside hose bibs has been installed before the future water side bring and acid neutralizing system to prevent using treated water for outside purposes.

After reading many posts on this forum and my basic understanding of well systems, I seem drawn to a new pump with a CSV system such as the sidekick system.

Any recommendation on pump sizing and CSV selection including good brands and models would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: New Pump System
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »
You will lose about 10 PSI through the softener/filter.  So starting with a 40/60 switch and constant 50 PSI from a CSV will only give you 40 PSI at the shower.  A submersible would give you more flow and pressure.  But if you want to use a single pipe jet, a J5SH or a J15S will have a max pressure of 80, so you can run 50/70 on the pressure switch.  This will give you a constant 60 PSI from the CSV, which after the softener/filter will still give you 50 PSI to the showers.  And the PK1A will work with any of those pressure settings and it doesn't matter if it is a sub or jet.  But I would recommend the 10 gallon size tank if you end up using the 50/70 pressure switch setting.

Mikerf12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:33:32 AM »
Thanks

In regards to the pump, I have a double nose setup so the the J5 would be the pump I need.  The two pump you listed were a 1/2 hp and 1-1/2 hp.  Either pump would work in this application?

Thanks again,

Mike

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 07:56:05 AM »
Single pipe jet pump will work fown to about 24 feet depth to water.

Mikerf12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
Thanks Cary

In order to stay with the two pipe system I have. It looks like to have the 50/70 cycle stop valve working I would need the J5 with the high pressure setting. 

Can you confirm this would work with your system.

Thanks

Mike

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
Yes the J5 will work, but you will need the high pressure ejector pack, model FH5H.

Mikerf12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
Cary,

My old system is finally failing so I’m ready to order.  Based on your input from above, I’m trying to make sure I order everything properly.  The pressure tank option will be 10 gallon, which pressure switch option and csv1a pressure do I select?

I’m going to go with the J5SH and convert my two setup as I don’t think they make a pump for two pipe setups that can reach 80 psi.

Thanks in advance.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 07:14:23 AM »
Two pipe jet pumps can build as much pressure as you need/want.  But at that depth a single pipe jet pump will work and the J5SH will work at 50/70 pressure if you like.  That would mean a CSV setting of 60 PSI constant.  And I wouldn't use the low pressure cut off switch unless you have a very weak and low producing well that could be pumped dry.

Mikerf12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 07:32:32 AM »
Thanks Cary.  I just placed the order.  I didn’t see a place to specify the 50/70 pressure switch though. 

Thanks for all of your help.

Mike

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
Setting the CSV pressure to 60 would mean we would give you a 50/70 pressure switch.  Thanks!

Mikerf12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
You will lose about 10 PSI through the softener/filter.  So starting with a 40/60 switch and constant 50 PSI from a CSV will only give you 40 PSI at the shower.  A submersible would give you more flow and pressure.  But if you want to use a single pipe jet, a J5SH or a J15S will have a max pressure of 80, so you can run 50/70 on the pressure switch.  This will give you a constant 60 PSI from the CSV, which after the softener/filter will still give you 50 PSI to the showers.  And the PK1A will work with any of those pressure settings and it doesn't matter if it is a sub or jet.  But I would recommend the 10 gallon size tank if you end up using the 50/70 pressure switch setting.

Cary,

I’m about to order the pump and I’m convert to single pipe setup.  If it was you ordering would you go with the J5SH or the J15S?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
They will both do 60 PSI no problem.  Just the 1/2HP J5SH will only pump 5 GPM where the J15S is a 1.5HP that will put out 15 GPM if needed.  Normally I would say stay with the smallest pump that will do the job, and 5 GPM is usually enough for house use.  But with the CSV you can install as large a pump as you want, and the CSV will still make it work like a small pump when needed.

Mikerf12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 07:35:07 AM »
Cary,

Had a few setback and am looking to order the pump this week.  Still torn, given the situation and pretty big cost difference between the j15s and j5sh. I’m really torn what to do.  Given the setup I posted in the first post do you feel the j5sh will be sufficient? 

Thanks,

Mike

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:20 AM »
I am not sure the J5SH will pump enough water to supply all your needs.  But the J15S maybe quite a bit more than you need.  Maybe you could split the difference and use a J10S?

Mikerf12

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
Will the j10s procure the pressure I need?  Also how do you calculate for the depth on the chart?