Author Topic: Well with CSV1A holds pressure then drops suddenly  (Read 2332 times)

Wetwat

• View Profile
Well with CSV1A holds pressure then drops suddenly
« on: May 10, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »
I've got a well pump with a CSV1A, pressure switch 40/60, gauge, and 12gal expansion tank. It's a new system that puts out 18-20+ gpm when tested. My problem is that after setting up the expansion tank to the pressure tank and pressure switch per CSV instructions it cycles way too often. I'm testing it with two good sized sprinklers that I run full open out of a 3/4 ID hose. The system is literally only a submersible well pump, 1-1/4 sch 80 pipe (75'), about 6" of 1-1/4" stainless, the CSV/gauge/pressure tank and a 1" hose bib on top. I haven't got it running right so I haven't hooked it up to the house yet. Can supply pictures if needed.

The system runs at 45 PSI and holds it perfectly for maybe 40-50sec and then the pressure drops to damn near 0 and the pump kicks back on. It runs for a little back up to 50psi or so then kicks off... holds 45psi for another 40 seconds or so and drops to nada again.

I went to school for mechanical engineering so the mechanical and electrical system makes pretty good sense to me. That said, I never ran one of these systems so I'm pretty sure there's going to be some dumb "ah ha!" moment in my future when you guys help me iron out what I've done wrong.

Any other information needed to help me with this?

-Wes

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Well with CSV1A holds pressure then drops suddenly
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:59:12 AM »
The CSV doesn't do anything until the pressure reaches 50 PSI.  The pressure switch only shuts the pump off if the pressure gets to 60 PSI.  The only thing that can shut a pump down like that is the overload in the motor.  When the overload trips out, it cools down for 30-60 seconds then automatically resets itself and starts the pump again.  If it is a new pump, you may have it running on 115v instead of 230v.  That would trip the overload.

Wetwat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. I just tested it and ran twice as many sprinklers and it ran solid with no weird pressure drops what so ever. I am certain I have it wired correctly. I've tested the voltages at the pressure switch and the pump control and I'm getting two 118VAC lines coming in. The pump is now 6month old but has only had limited use. It's a 4-wire 1HP 18A pump. Pump controller is for a 1HP as well.

To test the well initially I ran a 3/4" ID hose wide open for 12 hours and I never noticed it cycling while I was there.

I'm going to go back to the installation manual and run through it all again from the beginning. If this was an irrigation setup I wouldn't worry but it's going to be primarily for a house and I can see demand being as low as 1-1.5gpm (shower, doing dishes, etc) quite often. Should I have got a different cycle stop valve?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »
The CSV1A will work down to 1.5 GPM without cycling.  As long as it doesn't get to 60 PSI the pressure switch is not what is cutting off the pump.  If it just stops pumping for a little bit then comes back on by itself, the overload is tripping.  A 1HP submersible should pull a max of 9 amps or it will trip the overload.  Where did you get that 18 amps from?