Author Topic: Pressure swing higher and narrower. Is this OK  (Read 3742 times)

Brn2fly

• View Profile
Pressure swing higher and narrower. Is this OK
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
Because of the 3 large Kinetico filters after the pressure tank causing a pressure drop to the house I am running the pressure at 70/80 psi.  This is a higher and narrower pressure than the normal 40/60.  After I install the CSV is it ok to leave the narrow band and set the pressure to 75 or even 72 on the CSV? I have a little 20 gal pressure tank. As I was reading I noticed a complaint of the bit larger pressure tank was the lag till the pump came on and the pressure was constant. Is it better to set the valve closer to the high pressure switch cutout or low pressure kick on to minimize this?  The well pump is in a 300 gallon tank in the basement. It is 1hp with a 26 gal per min flow rate. When the pump shuts off with the pressure switch the water hammer is extreme and the 1 1/4 feed line shakes rather violently.  When I install the CSV is it better to be closer to the pressure tank or closer to the pump in the 300 gallon holding tank? Or maybe it doesn't matter since the flow in the feed line should be 1 gpm and the violence will go away, so anywhere in that feed line before the pressure tank is ok?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:54:30 AM by Brn2fly »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pressure swing higher and narrower. Is this OK
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »
Yep just install the CSV anywhere between the pump and tank.  As long as it is before the tank/switch and before any water line tees it will reduce the flow to 1 GPM before shut off, which should stop the water hammer, as long as your check valve isn't sticking open.

You are basically reducing the pressure tanks holding capacity by 50% when you go to 10 PSI between on and off.  But that is still enough to work with the CSV.  I would leave the CSV set in the middle of the pressure switch setting.  You should still get about 1 minute of run time. You shouldn't see any pressure drop with those narrow bandwidths.

Brn2fly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »
I just realized my pressure switch is plumbed in before the CSV.  Is this a problem?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »
Won't work that way.

Brn2fly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »