Author Topic: Cut in/Cut out problems - New install of PSIDE Kick, CSV1A, and 4.5 Gal Tank  (Read 2836 times)

rlawrence

• View Profile
Good morning, Cary.  Hope you're well.

A few weeks ago you helped to answer my questions under another post with the same subject line.  Got it working finally with your assistance.  Thanks!

I have a new problem.  After the install, one of the pvc screw connectors failed, spewing water.  Unfortunately, we didn't become aware of the failure until a couple of days later. I fixed the broken connector, but when I switched the pump on, it froze up and began smoking.  I replaced it with a new pump, and it's pumping great.  At a flow rate of 3 GPM, the pressure needle hovers at 20 psi.
When I shut of the flow, the pressure builds up to 40 psi.  However, it does not build up pressure beyond 40 psi, and the pump continues to run. Pressure stays at 40 psi, so it can't reach the cut out at 60 psi. 

Believing there must have been an air leak on the suction side, I tested all visible connection points with foam (shaving cream), but couldn't find any air leaks.  So I decided to dismantle the system on the suction side from the foot valve to the pump intake, making sure that every pvc pipe had clean, straight ends, and the couplings, elbows, etc. were well-soldered and tight. 

With all new plumbing installed, I switched the pump on, but I'm getting the same results.  I figure it's got to be something else.  Even the pressure switch was replaced! 

Any thoughts, please? 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Did you replace it with an identical pump?  Either the pump is not building enough pressure or the jet nozzle is clogged.  The CSV is just a piece of pipe until the pressure reaches 50 PSI, so the low pressure is coming from the pump.

rlawrence

• View Profile
Original pump that failed (cracked impeller housing) in the winter was a 1/2 hp ACE shallow well jet pump.  The second pump that failed with the cracked connector was a 3/4 hp Wayne shallow well jet pump.  This last pump is also 1/2 hp ACE shallow well jet pump, just like the original.  Should be able to build sufficient pressure.  240v feed. 

How do I clear the jet nozzle?

Thanks again!

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am going to need the correct pump model and number.  i found a WaterAce that will do a max of 65 PSI, but the ACE pump I found only does 36 PSI max.  Then are you pumping from a well or a cistern tank?  Pumping from a well means they will build even less pressure than when pumping from a cistern above ground.  Neither one of the pumps I found will work with a 40/60 switch.

rlawrence

• View Profile
I'm pretty sure it's this one:  Ace Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump 1/2 hp 9.2 115 volts(ACE5S)
Item no: 45436 | 082901454366

And I'm pretty sure it's the same model as the original one.

What do you recommend?  It's a shallow well, not a cistern.

rlawrence

• View Profile
Then again, I replaced pressure a tank with the pside-kick set up when I replaced the original Ace pump. 

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The spec sheets for that pump are some of the worst I have ever tried to read.  The best I can tell as a shallow well pump it can pump against a max head of 80', which is only 37 PSI.  This is the only thing that makes sense with the pressure you are getting.