Author Topic: Upgrade existing water system  (Read 3380 times)

kkc

• View Profile
Upgrade existing water system
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:28 PM »
Hello, CSV newbie here!  I am preparing to upgrade my home water system.  My water  source is a spring which has a decent flow of 2-5gpm, depending on the time of year.  A 220v 1/2hp 12gpm Myers submersible pump model 2ST52-12PLUS  lies horizontal in the collecting area of the spring and pumps about 150' length and about a 20' rise to the house basement pressure tank.  The problem areas are:  1) the holding area of the spring is only around 50 gallons,  2) the pressure tank is a small Amtrol 202, 3) the pressure switch is only 20/40,  4) I need to inject soda ash to raise the ph of the spring water  5) the house has 4 1/2 baths, 3 of which along with the laundry are located  on the second story, 20' above the pressure tank.   I am on my third pump during the last 30 years, since the pumps kicks on when a relatively small amount of water (commode flush), is demanded.
From reading your forum along with other internet sources, I have arrived at a preliminary plan to address these issues and wanted to run it by you for your suggestions.

1.) Install a 400 gal freestanding holding tank in my basement.
2.) Install PK1A Pside-Kick at spring water line entry to the house.
3.) Install Dosatron, D14WL2N Chemical (Soda Ash) injection  system after PK1A and before  400 gal holding tank    .
4.) Install float switch in holding tank and Cycle Sensor CS1PH1-2HP 230v   to control on/off of spring submersible pump and prevent dry run.     
5.) Install submersible pump capable of delivering 20gpm at constant 55-60psi in holding tank     and  install second  PK1A Pside-Kick with csv set at 58psi after holding tank to supply the house.
6.) Install second  Cycle Sensor CS1PH1-2HP 230v to prevent dry run of  holding tank pump

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Upgrade existing water system
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »
Sounds like a really good plan.  However, I am not sure your Dosatron injector will work with a variable flow pump control like the CSV. You need an injector pump that reads a flow meter and injects according to the flow rate.

kkc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Cary. .  My understanding is that the Dositron is designed to deliver a specific injection concentration at a fixed or variable flow rate.  From the description:

"Dosatron is the only company with a selection of water-powered chemical injectors that are NSF/ANSI 61 & 372 Certified. ...they compensate for water flow and pressure changes providing consistent, repeatable results. Dosatrons are simple to use and adjust allowing for flexible dosage rates, and they are easy to maintain saving you time and effort."

Any suggestions for a submersible pump in the tank that would do the job for me.  Also on any particular brand and/or type of simple and reliable float for the tank that would work best with the cycle sensor.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »
I wasn't aware the Dosatron could compensate for changes in flow, that is perfect.

A 3/4HP would be a little small so I would use a 1HP, 25 GPM pump, like a Goulds 25GS10 or a Grundfos 25S10-7.  There is also a 1HP, 33 GPM Hallmark they sell for 150 bucks that would work.  Lots of people are using that pump is cisterns and creeks, but I still don't know how long they will last.

You can get pump up float switches on the Internet lots of places, and they also have them at the tractor store.

kkc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
I've finally got the time to work on this project. 

Question:  The Sump Alarm float switch that I purchased says that the float can be wired directly to pumps up to 1/2 hp without using a relay.  Installing it this way, I would just connect the float leads between one of the pump leads coming out of the Cycle Sensor.  Is this okay or would it interfere with the accurate operation of the Cycle Sensor?

Thanks

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 04:15:18 PM »
That will work fine.

kkc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »
Finished the system over the weekend and am thrilled with the results.  I now have a steady household pressure of 60psi and can pump over 20gpm if needed.  Three people can now shower simultaneously with no pressure drop, even with a commode flush or two thrown in.  The CSV valves and Cycle Sensors work just as I was hoping.  Thanks again, Cary, for an excellent product plus great customer service!!

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »
Beautiful install!  Thanks for the pictures and kind words.  Hope you never have to think about your water system again.