Author Topic: pump selection  (Read 1975 times)

unhitched

• View Profile
pump selection
« on: September 26, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
I am in the process of installing a csv at my house and in my barn, I need to replace one of my pumps as well. I am not certain which pump to replace it with, I currently have a Grundfos MQ3-45 which from what I understand it is a 1 HP pump, I installed it several years ago when my other 1.5 HP AMT pump burned up when the contacts on the pressure switch fused (no fault of the pump).   I have (2) 60ish gallon pressure tanks that i replaced recently that I am planning on just plumbing to the CSV, and 10,000 gallons of water storage provided by my submerged in ground pump.  My plan is to upgrade to a 1.5 hp pump as I just dont have the flow that I have before with the bigger pump plus I dont like the looks of all of the reducers it took to make the Grundfos pump work.  I was going to purchase a J15s or a GT15 from Goulds but I read on their website that they dont warranty any products that are sold consumer direct so I am looking for opinions on which brand/model to go with.

Also I am confused by what is a jet pump, vs a booster pump vs a shallow well pump.  I assume that all these types of pumps will work for my application.

Finally I would like a pump made in the USA if possible, not saying they are better or worse, i just feel better if that is the case.  And to be clear while i appreciate value, I am looking for a quality pump first and foremost.

Thanks in advance for your help
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:47:37 PM by unhitched »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: pump selection
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:05:10 AM »
The J15S is a good choice.  I use a lot of those.  The GT is a regular centrifugal pump and doesn't produce the pressure you need.  The J15S is a jet pump, and the jet is what gives you pressure.  Centrifugal pumps are more for volume at low pressure.  The CSV1A will work great with that pump.  You really only need a 4.5 or a 10 gallon tank, but it will work fine with two 60 gallon tanks, you just won't see constant pressure until you have used up the 30 gallons from those two tanks combined.