Author Topic: Pump runs continuously :: Unable to reach cut-out pressure.  (Read 5620 times)

jrizzo

• View Profile
Pump runs continuously :: Unable to reach cut-out pressure.
« on: March 31, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
Hi -

I have a CSV and pump newly installed as described below.  The pressure never gets high enough to turn off the pump.  IE - the pressure never reaches the cut-out pressure of 70psi.  The highest the pressure gets is 64-66psi. 

Troubleshooting -
   Confirmed the check valve is holding pressure.
   Confirmed there are no leaks on the discharge side.
   Adjusted the CSV, even to the point of turning the set screw almost all the way in.

500 gl holding tank 6' H x 4' Diameter
    |
~60' 2" pvc pipe
    |
1 1/4" FLOMATIC 4202SS2 check valve
    |
Goulds HSC15, Multi-Stage Centrifugal Pump, 1-1/2 HP, 2 Stages, 1-1/4" Suction, 1" Discharge
    |
~5" 1" stainless steel pipe
    |
PK1A PSIDE-KICK Pressure Tank Kit
    10 gallon tank
        I made a support to hold the tank horizontal
        The bladder pressure is about 48psi
    50-70 pressure switch

I am at a loss.  The only thing I can think of is that the pump is unable to build pressure to 70psi.  Is there anything I am missing or should check?

If the pump is unable to build pressure to 70psi - I will then need to troubleshoot that.  I thought the Goulds HSC15 pump could go to 125psi.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:21:01 AM by jrizzo »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pump runs continuously :: Unable to reach cut-out pressure.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 03:50:41 PM »
No that pump has a max pressure of 70 PSI.  You will lose some of that with the friction loss in the suction line.  And you don't want to run a pump anywhere close to its max pressure.  I would turn the pressure switch down to 40/60, set the CSV1A at 50, adjust the air in the tank to 45, and set the PRV to leak at about 65.  That pump just cannot build the pressure you thought it could.  Sorry!

jrizzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:29 AM »
Thank you for the answer.  I misinterpreted the pump specs.

Thanks,
Joe

pezzdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:45:30 AM »
I'm having a similar issue with my setup.

I run an outdoor shower off of my irrigation setup.  When there is enough outflow I don't have any problem with cycling, but when I'm running only the shower and the pressure tank runs out of water the pump cycles on and immediately off repeatedly.  I have adjusted the cutout pressure to just where it won't cycle this way and now my pump can't get the pressure up high enough to cut out at all (even with no outflow).  I've tried adjusting the pressure switch every which way unsuccessfully. 

Attached is my setup, is there something I could rearrange to make it better?

Thanks!

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 11:53:11 AM »
That looks like an older model 1" CSV?  If that is correct it should work down to 1 GPM.  Those are set pressure valves (no adjustment).  So you have to make the pressure switch turn the pump off higher than the CSV pressure.  What pressure is the CSV and what is the pressure switch on/off setting?

pezzdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
The CSV is 30 PSI.  I don't know what the On/Off is set to on the switch.  Initially it was 20/40 but I've messed with it a lot trying to dial it in.  I think it goes off at pretty much 0 and I was shooting for 10/30 but the 20Lb difference seems to cause pump cycling so I've been bumping up the Off side slowly to prevent that.  But as soon as I get the Off pressure high enough where it won't cycle the pump can't put out enough pressure to turn it off.  I don't think I can get any more than 40 PSI out of the pump.

The pump is a Gould Irrigator 15 (1.5 HP) pulling from a shallow well.  I don't know the depth b/c I didn't drill, but I live at 27 Ft (I'm in a coastal town in NC).

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »
A GT15 should build 51 PSI , less 1 PSI for every 2.31 feet to water down the well.  It must shut off higher than 30 for the CSV to work.  Loosen all the way off on the little screw in the pressure switch.  Adjust the big screw until it shuts off at 35 or higher, and the CSV should work.  If it will not build at least 40 something is wrong with the pump.

pezzdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 03:48:22 PM »
Thank you, I will try this weekend and report back.

pezzdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »
Thank you so much @Cary this finally got me situated.  I was pulling my hair out!  All set now.  :D