Author Topic: CSV125-50-1 cycling on and off, will not remain at 50psi  (Read 4789 times)

AlbertoAbreu

• View Profile
CSV125-50-1 cycling on and off, will not remain at 50psi
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
Hello
My system involves a 3/4hp pump to suction water from a water reservoir barely 2m below ground. At the end of the intake 1" pipe, I have a foot valve. The water pipe goes into the pump, then via a checkvalve, then through a CSV125-1 control valve, crossing a T juncture where my pressure gauge, pressure switch and 4 gallon pressure tank are situated before going into my house. I have adjusted the pressure pressure switch for a cut in at 40 psi and cut out at 60. The pressure tank has a pressure of 38psi.

The problem I am facing is that, when the cut in pressure is reached, the pump is activated raising the pressure from 40 up but instead of reaching 50psi and remaining there, as I was expecting, it overshoots and continues to 60 and then cuts off. Needless to say, this will continue, cycling on and off until the tap is closed in the house.

I have read your troubleshooting table and have heeded the information there. Going through the list, the pressure switch is set correctly (when I drain the system and have everything off it DOES read 0). I am not sure if I have a waterlogged pressure tank but it is relativel new- How can I tell if it is waterlooged?. I really don't know if I have a bad or torn diaphragm. Is this referring to a part of the CSV or of the pressure tank? How can I tell?

The water were I live has a lot of sediment which I am able to partially remove with a 5micron cartridge filter in the entrance to my house (prior to the pump) but we still have very fine particles that will be pumped through the CSV. I was wondering if the CSV can malfunction if it gets clogged up. If this were the case, are there instructions on how to dismantle and clean?

Looking forward to your advice.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV125-50-1 cycling on and off, will not remain at 50psi
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 06:54:32 AM »
If it is a 50 PSI valve then something is wrong.  But I am thinking it is a 60 PSI valve, and you just need to turn the pressure switch up to 50/70 to make the CSV work.  Sediment in the CSV125 may cause it to start leaking a bit, but won't stop it from working.  Also make sure your gauge will go to zero when there is no water in the system.  The gauge could be reading high.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:37:43 AM by Cary Austin »

AlbertoAbreu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
Thanks Cary for a quick reply.

The valve I have is indeed 50psi. Or at least this is what I bought. Where on the valve itself can I check whether it's 50 or 60?

Having read about the problem of the pressure gauge not reading 0 when the lines are empty, I also checked this and it does read 0 correctly (see photo).

If nothing is apparently wrong, could a faulty check valve cause my problem? I notice other users do NOT have a check valve after the pump, whereas I have both a foot valve and a check valve. Would it be advisable to remove the check valve?

What happens if there is sediment in the CSV, won't it allow passage of water but stop controlling pressure?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:45:51 PM »
If the filter is clogged and/or the facet is not letting out at least 2 gpm the pump will cycle.  Measure how much the facet uses.

AlbertoAbreu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
Ok, thanks. I have a tap downstream from the pump, after the CSV and before the filter; if I run the water there I can measure the flow without having interference from the filter. Will get back to you when I test this.

AlbertoAbreu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
The flow rates I measured are pretty well within the range. 1.3 gpm in the kitchen is the lowest, whereas in other parts of the house I get 4-5 gpm.

Oh, and by the way, the CSV is now working ;o))... before doing all the measurements of this, I decided to clean my filter and that seemed to fix my problem.

But, before signing off and thanking you for your time, can you please clarify for me whether or not it is recommendable to remove the checkvalve I have immediately after the pump, given that I have a foot valve in the entry pipe from my water reservoir?

best

Alberto

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
A check valve on the suction is really the only one needed.  But the second check valve is OK as long as you don't start losing prime over time or hearing water hammer.

AlbertoAbreu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »
One last question: do CSV's ever need to be opened and cleaned, say if the water being drawn contains high amounts of sediment? Are there any symptoms when this happens? And, for when CSV's need to be cleaned internally, do you have any tutorials or documents on how to disassemble and clean?

Thanks very much...this is a great service!!!

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »
Can't clean the CSV125.  If you run sediment through it water will start leaking from the vents under the red coupling.