Author Topic: Pressure Tank Mounting Position  (Read 144 times)

Elton Noway

• View Profile
Pressure Tank Mounting Position
« on: June 24, 2019, 01:42:38 PM »
Sorry... I'm aware similar questions on this subject have been discussed in several ways in various forums but before moving on... I'd appreciate some additional professional insight before proceeding.

Eight years ago I installed a PK1W (Pside-kick Kit) which included the original CSV1W valve.  Per the instructions and in reading numerous forums it became clear the pside-kick pressure tank could be mounted in any position (horizontal, vertical, tank inlet up or tank inlet down. Based on the manifold that came with my kit and the working area I had... I installed the tank vertically with the water inlet at the top and pressure valve fitting at the bottom. Last week I replaced the well pump (18 years old but stopped working due to a break in the electrical wiring going down the well) Because I replaced the pump I also replace the pressure switch. The CSV valve is still working fine but I decided to also replace the pressure tank as well since I was doing an overhaul. At the time I attempted to place my order the Wellxtrol 4.4 gallon (WX-102) it was on back order so I ordered the 7.6 gallon (WX-103) instead. It has the the exact same size fittings and same diameter as the the original 4.4 gallon tank in service now (only difference is its about 10 inches taller) Anyway... I  figured swapping the tanks would be a piece of cake. Unscrew the exiting tank, screw in the new tank, check/adjust the tank pressure as needed and be done. Here's my dilemma... per the Wellxtrol installation instructions that came with the tank it "must be" installed vertically with the water inlet at the bottom :(   

Granted I could make a relatively simple modification to the plumbing and mount the tank as they suggest... but from a physics standpoint (as far as I see it) the air in the tank will still exert pressure on the bladder regardless of how the tank is oriented. I also figured... by installing it the same way as the current pside-kick tank with the pressure valve on the bottom I could easily tell if the bladder failed by the presence of water exiting the valve when depressed ... or even use the valve at the bottom to drain any possible condensation that might form in the air chamber.

NET: Warranty issues aside... is there any valid argument - difference in operation .... or facts behind why I should install it as they require with the water inlet at the bottom and pressure valve at the top? 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pressure Tank Mounting Position
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »
Never knew it said that.  Been installing them that way for years.  That red one you took out was a WX102, and it lasted how long?  Wouldn't think there is much difference in a 103.  We use up to 10 gallon size tanks that way all the time.  I always try to put the inlet down if there is a sediment problem.  Otherwise like you, I don't know what difference it would make.

Elton Noway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »
Actually the WX102 is still working fine after 8 years but since I've read a few threads about issues with the earlier WX102's I figured I'd just swap it now during my rebuild rather wait for it to fail. (Getting close to the age where stuff like this is only getting more difficult.) 

Wow... never thought about a bottom inlet from the benefit of combating a potential sediment problem. Definitely something to think about. Thanks.

Hmmm. . as it stands now with my current configuration the inlet of my pressure tank is only about 6 inches from the CSV valve. If I were to re-plumb the tank it so I could invert it and place the inlet at the bottom I'd have to add about two feet of 3/4" copper. Easy enough... but could that create any issues with the tank being further from the CSV? (e.g., require any changes to pressure settings, induce water hammer etc.) Only asking because, if memory serves me correctly I believe I read for the ideal installation you should place the pressure tank as close as possible to the CSV. Not sure if adding two feet would be a problem or not. As always... I appreciate your feedback.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 06:48:57 AM »
No, the smaller CSV's can be a long ways from the pressure tank.  What is important is the pressure switch stay close to the pressure tank.  You can move the tank as far from the CSV as you want, just put a tee under the pressure tank and move the switch to the tank.

Elton Noway

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 09:11:33 AM »
Got it...Thank You! Appreciate the clarification. Will follow up on the outcome once I decide on how I'm going to approach the task.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »
Actually the PK1W is like the PK125, it was designed so the CSV could go at the well before any hydrants or tees, and the manifold with the than and switch can be installed at the house a long ways from the well head and CSV.

Elton Noway

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »
Great... I now have a much better understanding on the flexibility of the CSV valve location. However... knowing this, since I installed the a PK1W kit as shown in the left half of the attached photo... if I add two feet of pipe off the manifold so I can situate the tank inlet at the bottom (as shown in the crude representation on the right side of the photo) ...  would it still be recommended that I add a T-fitting at the bottom of the tank and relocate the pressure off the T ... or would it be okay in its current location as shown?  (... dotted line represents pipe running down the wall behind the tank) 

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
Should be OK.  You won't know until you try it.  If the switch is too far from the tank it will bounce on/off rapidly on pump start.