Author Topic: Submersible Well pump and Radon system  (Read 1683 times)

brianf

• View Profile
Submersible Well pump and Radon system
« on: December 21, 2019, 06:59:44 PM »
Hello, I've had a CSV1A installed for many years and am quite happy with the results.

Last year I had a radon water system installed (AI Raider 433s) which consists of another submersible pump in a tank along with a pressure tank, switch etc. I didn't change the csv yet but I'm not sure how to make this system work properly. What happens when we call for water is it draws down the radon pressure tank, which will then kick on the submersible in the tank. The tank has enough water to about fully fill the pressure tank. Then the tank calls for water which opens a valve and water rushes in from the well pressure tank. This also has just about enough to refill the radon tank and so it shuts off the intake valve just about the time my well pump spins up.

In all cases of constant water usage except perhaps filling the washer, the well pump turns off not too long before the valve opens again causing the well to kick back in. With the valve set as I had before the radon system, it takes about 2 minutes to fill the well pressure tank before shutting off.

I recently had to remove the valve because it wasn't working correctly (will post separately about this) and with the valve removed, the well pump cycles on for about 45 seconds with about a minute in between when using just the shower.

So, how should I go about tuning this system?

I've tried to think through how it might work with a csv1a also installed on the radon system which would stop that pump from cycling, but the high and low floats in the tank control the input from the well tank so it's either full on or full off as far as the well side sees. I also considered cracking the bypass so that while water is being used upstream of the radon, the well would see some flow and keep that pump spinning. The problem is when the pump is off, I'm effectively drawing down both tanks in parallel which lets more untreated water through than I would prefer.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Submersible Well pump and Radon system
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:32:12 AM »
When using a 40/60 switch, adjust the CSV to hold 50 PSI constant while the shower is running.  Sounds like the adjustment bolt is too tight.

brianf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 10:43:41 AM »
That is about how I had it set before the radon system. With the radon system, the well side only effectively sees 1 fixture that is either full open or full closed, which is the valve that controls refilling the big aeration tank.  The cycle time of this part of the system is pretty long, which meant with the csv installed, the well would fill the aeration tank in about 30 seconds, then continue to run for another 30-45 finally to shut off not long before the aeration tank called for more water. Without the valve, the well runs for about 45 seconds and then shuts off for the remaining time.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 07:04:28 AM »
Reduce the CSV setting or increase the pressure switch setting to get 1 minute or so fill time.  If the pressure tank is still filling when the aeration tank calls for more water the well pump will not have shut off by then.