Author Topic: Off grid Dual pump for domestic water  (Read 1346 times)

panapat

• View Profile
Off grid Dual pump for domestic water
« on: December 22, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I must say its a very informative site. Unfortunately I couldn't find the specific answer to my situation.

I live in Panama and I have almost finished an off-grid build, the solar system is comprised of 6 kWh panels, two paralleled inverters/chargers with two 10 kWh lithium battery packs.

Additionally I have a 165 Watt solar array directly powering a DC single stage pump capable of flowing 22 g.p.m.  This pump is supplied from a 600 liter water tank and during daylight hours pumps water to the house tank which is at an elevation higher by 25 m or so. The solar pump has a small pressure tank, pressure switch and low water cut off.

At the house I intend to fit a 1/2 hp AC booster pump with a 44 gallon pressure tank.

My question is, can the solar pump be tied into both the house tank fill line AND supply water to the house by connection downstream of the AC water pump, just before the pressure reservoir tank. If so, do I need two CSV or just one? The hope is that the solar pump will supply water during the day eliminating the need of the AC pump.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Off grid Dual pump for domestic water
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:23:41 AM »
With solar power you really don't want to restrict the flow from the pump like with a CSV.  Just use the 44 gallon tank that holds 10 gallons of water.  Even the AC pump is running on batteries so just let it fill a tank and shut off.  Solar is one of those situations where a larger tank like an 86 maybe helpful.