Author Topic: Submersible pump issues looking for CSV and Well Pump Recommendation  (Read 776 times)

MasterRosa12700

• View Profile
Hi Cary,
I put in my home well 30 years ago and it was to provide water for a Mobile Home for a few years before we built our house.  I now live in a house with 4 people.  We currently have 3 bathrooms but 1 is not used very often.  I currently have a 30 year old Water Ace R300A ½ Hp pump that is a 10 gallon per minute pump 3 wire 220V.

My pump is having some issue and has cracked housing and not holding pressure.  I need to order a pump soon but everyone I call around here is not wanting to sell me a new pump unless they install it.  What I find at some plumbing supply places and either Lowes or Menards have what I would call subpar pumps.

I feel like I need a little more gallon per minute pump due to running two showers, dishwasher, clothes washer, and at times watering the garden.  I notice when anything is running in the house I have very low water pressure to run 1 sprinkler in the garden.  I live in Indiana and was planning on a constant water well pump until I saw some of your videos on CSV valves.  I have written what I know about my well and everything that I think you may need to give me advise on new pump size and recommend a pump.  Also which CSV valve I need due to some other factors shown in my diagram.

By looking at the Wellcare Table 1 it mainly shows that a 2 to 2 ½ bath house will need a 14GPM pump required to meet peak demand.  If I look at the 3 to 4 baths it shows 17GPM. Not sure really what to be looking for how big a pump is needed.

Home:
3 bedrooms
3 Full Baths
6 sinks
3 showers – usually 2 at one time
Dishwasher
Clothes Washer     

Current Water Configuration:
Submersible Well 4” Diameter (30 Years Old)
Pit less Adapter 4’ below ground level
1 ¼” Black Poly pipe from the pump to the pit less adapter 160psi
1” Black poly pipe from pit less adapter approximately 120 feet into to the crawl space then going down into the basement to the pressure tank.
Pressure Tank Well X Trol WX-251, 62 gallon
Current Pump Water Ace R300A 1/2 HP 10 GPM
Well Depth 85’
Pump Depth 55’
Static Water Level 12’
Pit less adapter 1” pipe to house 120’
Pipe from Pit less adapter rises approximately 6 feet into the crawlspace then drops 9 feet to the pressure tank and maybe 5 90 deg elbows.  Not sure how to calculate this for head pressure so I estimated 10’.  I calculate anywhere from 177’ to 200’ of TDH.

The only thing I do not know is the Well Rating.  All I know is the guy that drilled my well pumped on it for a couple of hours and said he was running 20 GPM and it was not dropping.  I don’t remember getting a paper that told the rating of the well. 

CSV Related information:
Inside my well casing there is 1 ¼” black ply pipe that is 160psi will this need replace to a higher psi rating once a CSV valve is used?
Also at the pit less adapter 4’ under the ground there is a T that splits the water going into the house with a 1’ poly pipe that is 100 psi.  The other side supplies water to my barn through the 1 ¼” poly pipe that was used for a mobile home before I built the house.  Due to this configuration I don’t believe that I can use the standard CSV valve CSV1A ?  I will need to use the CSVS125 in the well casing? 

Not sure how to add my photo of my pump system?

Thank You,
Randy

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Submersible pump issues looking for CSV and Well Pump Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 06:25:04 PM »
All pumps are subpar these days.  That pump should be large enough, as it will run 3 showers at the same time.  If you are complaining about the pressure we can fix that.  A 10 GPM, 3/4HP would be a good upgrade for more pressure.  But you can get a 1HP, 33GPM, 230V Hallmark for about 160 bucks on Ebay.  Even though that is way larger pump than you need, the CSV will make it work like a small pump when needed while still delivering strong constant pressure to the house.  If your pressure tank and switch are still good all you need is the CSV1A valve.  But the CSV1A valve comes in the PK1A kit which also has a new tank and everything you need to replace what you have now.   

MasterRosa12700

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 02:40:39 PM »
I know that I threw a lot of information on the post, but I am confused on which CSV valve I need or why?  At my well casing 4 foot under ground is a "T".  At the "T" one side goes to a frost free hydrant over 100 feet away at my barn and the other goes to my house 100 feet the opposite way.  I was on the understanding from one of the videos that I would have to use a CSV125 in the well casing so I would have the same steady water pressure at the house and the barn?

Also what pressure rating of the poly pipe need to be in the well or to my pressure tank since the pump and CSV valve will create a higher pressure than I currently have?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 04:08:36 PM »
Yeah the CSV125 or the CSVS125 need to go before the first tee.  The pipe before the CSV will see the max pressure whatever pump you get can build.  The 1/2HP, 10 GPM can only build 100 PSI.  The 3/4HP, 10 GPM can build 140 PSI.  The 1HP, 33GPM can only build 90 PSI, which is why it needs to go in a cistern or a well with a shallow water level of less than about 40'.

MasterRosa12700

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 04:38:44 PM »
Thank You for the response to my questions.  I believe the CSVS125 at 60psi will work for what I need very well.  I am glad I found this site and did not spend the money for an expensive constant pressure pump.

Thanks again,
Randy

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 06:39:37 PM »
We guarantee you will like it.