Author Topic: Couple of questions  (Read 3276 times)

Trumptone

• View Profile
Couple of questions
« on: November 21, 2020, 08:28:14 PM »
Here is a video of my current pump (Goulds JS05, manufactured in 1991) running: https:// youtu.be/HqMVdaCG3Q8 (take out the space after"//"). It has been this loud for years. Are the bearings bad? The water hammer sounds worse in person. You can see a check valve in the video. I'd assume there's a foot valve, but I don't know.

I purchased a CSV1A awhile ago, but haven't installed it yet. I plan on replacing the pump, pressure tank, and all associated fittings at the same time. I currently have an Amtrol WX-202 pressure tank (20 gallons). The bottom stand is rusting out and it may try to fall over soon. I'm thinking of going with an Amtrol WX-201D (14 gallons), it has a plastic stand.

I don't know any thing about my well. My pressure switch is 30/50. I set my pressure tank to 28psi 5 years ago and haven't checked it since. My pump runs for less than 38 seconds with no water flow. Should I replace the pump with a Goulds J5S (basically the same thing)?

My setup is in my crawlspace. I have a black, abs pipe coming in the wall from the well. I can't figure out the size of this pipe. The pipe is marked with the following: "ABS" "SWP" "5W3-J" "SEMI RIGID" "110 psi" "TRIANGLE". It also has a symbol with a "T" in a triangle. The outer diameter appears to be 1-1/8". Can anyone identify this pipe and the size?

Before the pump and check vavle, the black pipe transitions to 1" pvc. There is 3/4" copper after the pump. Would if be helpful at all to transition the black pipe to 1-1/4 cpvc before the pump? I'd like to install 1" pipe after the pump. Would it be a problem if the pipe before and after the pump is the same size?

I know I have tons of questions, and I thank anyone who will try to answer any of them!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:55:11 AM by Trumptone »

Trumptone

• View Profile
Re: Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 12:22:20 AM »
Did they make Copper Tube Size abs pipe? I believe that's what I have. The 1" CTS black pipe goes into a 3/4" x 1" pvc adapter where it transitions to 1" pvc. Looking at the dimensions, I'm not sure how they got that to fit. Maybe sand down the O.D. of the black pipe? I doubt it is up to code. What would be the best/correct way to do this, or should I just leave it alone?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:48:35 AM »
You can get one of the PK1A kits with the 4.5 or 10 gallon size tank.  These tanks do not have a base to rust out and is plenty large enough with the CSV.  Without a CSV the tank you have is only 1/4 the size needed.  Don't know about the pipe, but black is usually poly and just requires a barb fitting with hose clamps.  The pump does sound noisy, so the bearings maybe dry.  But jet pumps are noisy anyway. 

Trumptone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 01:10:47 AM »
I've decided to go with a new Goulds J5S pump and an Amtrol WX-202D pressure tank. These will be installed with the CSV1A. If I don't have a foot valve or if it is inoperable, I'll install a spring check valve until I can get the foot valve put in or replaced. If the new pump is loud, I'll build a "soundproof" box for it. I'm 95% sure the black pipe is copper tube size ABS. I'm not going to mess with it, I'll just add CPVC on to the PVC that the ABS is connected to. I'll be using 1" Sch 80 CPVC on both sides of the pump.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 10:46:18 AM »
The 20 gallon size tank only holds 5 gallons of water.  That doesn't help much over the 1 or 2 gallons held in a 4.5 or 10 gallon size tank that would cost less and take up less space.  But the CSV will work fine with any size tank and it sounds like you have a good plan.  Please let us know how you like it?

Trumptone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 08:51:33 PM »
If I do need to install a check valve, would there be any problem with this order of parts:  well - check valve - union - pump? Besides the union, the check valve should be as close to the pump as possible, right?

Thanks for your help.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 07:16:03 AM »
The check valve needs to be on the submersible pump itself.  Adding another anywhere else will cause problems.

Trumptone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 04:14:36 PM »
I'm working with a non-submersible jet pump. If the foot valve isn't working, I plan to install a check valve near the pump until I can get the foot valve changed. If I have to do this, is this order ok: well - check valve - union - pump?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 04:54:42 PM »
I see.  It is worth a shot.  If it holds below like your finger over a straw of ice tea it will work.  If it gets air it won't work.

Trumptone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 03:49:55 PM »
Well, I started taking stuff apart today. Upon cutting the pipe after the pump, there is a steady stream of water coming from the pump/well. I'm guessing that it is currently sitting below the water table. This stream is apparently enough to keep the check valve open. How can I tell if I have a foot valve or if it works?

I know it is not recommended, but how bad would it be if I had a foot valve and check valve before the pump. Remember I'll be using the CSV1A.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 04:43:35 PM by Trumptone »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 06:41:03 AM »
Or just turn on the pump, let it build some pressure, and shut off the pump. If the pressure stays the same as when you turned it off, the foot valve is working fine.

Trumptone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 11:00:21 AM »
Thank you.

Trumptone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 08:29:18 PM »
Turns out I don't have a working foot valve. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the system up and running.

Trumptone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 01:29:52 PM by Cary Austin »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 01:30:44 PM »
Sounds perfect!  Thanks for letting us know!