Author Topic: 1 well, 1 pressure tank, 2 houses  (Read 1713 times)

Jack A

• View Profile
1 well, 1 pressure tank, 2 houses
« on: January 18, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
Hi, here is my situation. I have a submersible well pump with a water line running to my house (check valve, pressure switch and tank). Knowing that I wanted to build an apt in a separate garage, while the excavator was there I had him dig down the 4' at the well casing and on to the garage. I teed off from the water line going to the house and ran a 1" water line to the garage. Then he re-buried the new line. What i want is to somehow use this connection to supply water to the apt. I believe there is a check valve at the submersible so my thought was to take out the check valve just before the existing pressure tank and let the existing pressure tank and switch pressurize the other system. Will this work? If so is there any way to use a CSV valve or two to prevent cycling and hammer. I wish I had put a CSV valve in between the pump and the tee. Thanks, John

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: 1 well, 1 pressure tank, 2 houses
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 09:55:25 AM »
Yes removing the check valve at the tank will allow you to use that line at the well to go to the other apartment.  However, you are correct that the CSV should have been installed before that first tee off.  In this case the only way to get the CSV installed before that first tee is to put the CSV in the well.  The CSV125 is designed to fit a couple feet below the pitless adapter in the well, so it is before any tees in the line.

Jack A

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 03:02:31 AM »
Its probably a stupid question but would a CSV valve on both lines work? The pump is 100' down. Thanks

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 07:15:45 AM »
No you just need one CSV installed prior to that tee.

Jack A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 08:10:29 AM »
Thanks Cary. Is it possible to pull that pitless adaptor line out of the well casing without a backhoe? I've searched online for answers and saw 1 video with two guys pulling it out but it looked like the well was shallow (and that one dude was really big). I am assuming I will be pulling up the pump and the 100' water line with the adapter. And then I had this vision of me getting the adapter line up, cutting into the pipe below it to install the CSV and then having the pipe attached to the pump slip through my hands and plummet to the bottom of the well casing. Got any advice or know any good videos out there. Thanks again

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 10:26:47 AM »
If you know the pump is set at 100' deep and on 1 1/4" PVC pipe, the pipe full of water will weigh 1.1# per foot.  That would be 110 pounds for the pipe, about 40 pounds for the pump, and maybe another 40 pounds for the wire.  So, yes about 200 pounds to lift it out of there.  Normally you would pull the first 20' joint out and get a good clamp on the coupling to the second joint to hold the pump up.  Unscrew the first joint and lay it down.  Cut and thread as needed to put the CSV125 about 3'-5' below the pitless adapter.  Then screw the first joint with CSV attached back to the second joint.  Remove the clamp and let the pump back down to set on the pitless.

Jack A

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 02:31:17 PM »
You da best! Thank you