Author Topic: Cleaning a weeping CSV1?  (Read 8607 times)

jeepskate

• View Profile
Cleaning a weeping CSV1?
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
I installed a CSV1 as part of an almost complete overhaul of the interior portion of my water system (new smaller pressure tank, new filtration, new pressure switch & gauge, new hot water heater) when I had my geothermal system installed in October 2011. Money was getting tight & I wanted to try out the CSV, so I didn't spring for the CSV1Z. The CSV1 is now weeping (judging by what my filer looked like pre-CSV1, I'd say there's some debris in there). I hope to replace it with a CSV1Z before the winter (finishing up some other project$ around the house), but in the meantime, can I pull the CSV1 out & clean it...if so, how do I go about cleaning it? Thanks.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Cleaning a weeping CSV1?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »
 There is probably something abrasive or slimy in the water, which caused the CSV to weep.  There is a tube that slides through an o-ring about half way down the red half where the water is coming from.  Replacing the o-ring may help for a while, but the tube is gouged out and will probably still weep.  Weeping doesn’t stop the valve from working.  You just need to install the valve in a place where the drip won’t hurt anything.  We make a coupling that allows the CSV1 to be in the well casing, or it can be out in a valve box, or just outside like they do in Florida.

jeepskate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:43 PM »
Definitely abrasive; the soil here is very loose & rocky almost sandy and when I pull my filters they look like they have fine sand in them. The valave still works & I have a small bucket under it that I empty every weekend. I'm in OH, so sitting it outside isn't an option. Am I likely to have the same issue with the CSV1Z and if so, is it more 'repairable' then the plastic CSV1? Thanks again. Love the CSV...allowed me to drop down from an 85 gallon tank & shift everything around to make room for the geothermal unit.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:14:19 AM »
The CSV1Z has been replaced with the CSV1A.  But no, this valve will not drip on the floor.  It has more friction loss and doesn't hold as constant a pressure as the plastic valves, but that is rarely noticed by anyone but me.  I have a CSV160 that is 16 years old and has been dripping for 14 years and still works good.  I just have it installed in the well so the drip is never noticed.  The only way I know it is dripping is because I pulled it up to look at it.

You won't notice friction loss from the CSV1A or any of our valves unless yo try to use every gallon that the pump can produce.  If you never use the maximum flow from the pump, you will never see the friction loss.