Author Topic: Electricity saved each month by using cycle stop valve?  (Read 4722 times)

Melissa

Electricity saved each month by using cycle stop valve?
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
Hello, I came across this forum the other day.  I had never heard of a cycle stop valve.  My husband and I have been experiencing some well problems and that is how I came across the cycle stop valve. 

I have read some about the applications of this product, but I don't feel I understand enough about its exact function and why it is used in the well system.  I did read that it prolonged the life of the different parts of the well system, including the pump and the check valve. 

I also read that it could save electricity which I am very interested in. 

Can you give me a very brief summary of why they are used and the amount of electricity you think it can save in one month?

My pump is using 1700 watts of electricity.  Unfortunately,  it presently has a problem and is kicking on every 40 seconds and staying on for 1 minute 20 seconds.  We think it may be a check valve failure, but we're not sure yet.

This is one of my biggest energy zappers so that is why I'm interested in how much electricity it will save.   
Our well is 250 ft. deep with a submersible pump, and 10gpm.
The holding tank is 20 gallon. 

Also, the site mentioned that you can use a 4.5 gallon holding tank.  Does that mean we can't use the 20 gallon one we have with the CSV?

Thank you in advance for your replys. 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Electricity saved each month by using cycle stop valve?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Hi Melissa
The CSV will make a variable flow pump out of your 10 GPM pump.  So instead of the pump always producing 10 GPM, and cycling on and off while you are using water, the CSV makes the pump match the amount being used and the pump runs continuously while any faucet is on.

Cycling on and off destroys every component in your pump system.  The check valve has apparently slammed shut so many times from cycling until it failed.  Now your pump is coming on even when you are not using any water.  This is why your electric bill is so high.  The electric bill from a pump, when being used just for the house, should be no mre than about 5 bucks a month.  Since the pump is running a minute and twenty seconds then staying off for only 40 seconds, it is running for 16 hours a day even though you are not using any water.

Replacing the check valve so the pump only comes on when you use water is the only way to get the electric bill under control.  Adding a CSV would have saved energy by not letting your check valve be destroyed.  Once you get the check valve repaired, the electric bill will only be 5 bucks a month, and the CSV won't reduce the electric bill any further.

The CSV works fine with any size tank.  You just don't need a very large tank because of how the CSV works, but a larger tank won't hurt anything.