Author Topic: simple install question  (Read 7502 times)

Marvin

• View Profile
simple install question
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
I have a 3/4hp pump feeding a  pretty large (and old) metal tank that does not appear to be pre-pressurized or bladder type. It's probably 40 gallons or so. This is for a shallow well using a jet pump to supply a fish camp/cottage. I wanted to install a csv150 to this system.

Am I correct that the csv goes between the well and the tank?

Are there precautions for using csv with this type of tank?

Should the tank first be emptied to allow the proper air/water amounts? thanks

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: simple install question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »
If you don't already have an air charge system coming off the jet pump to the tank, there won't be any difference in adding the CSV.  In other words yes, you still need to drain the tank ocasionally to add air.  The CSV goes between the pump and the pressure tank/pressure switch.  a 4.5 gallon bladder tank is all you need if you decide to change the tank.

Marvin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »
there is an air control valve in place on the tank with the 1/4 line attached to the pump, so I guess that does not pose a problem. However, the only pressure switch I'm aware of is directly on the pump body. Does it have to be removed and re-plumbed with the csv in place?  I was looking for some images of installed systems, that would help me not asking basic questions but got a little lost in a gazillion results. thanks again

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
You can either move the pressure switch after the CSV as in the picture, or you can just extend the sensing line from the pressure switch and attach it after the CSV.  But either way yes, the pressure switch has to be after the CSV.

Marvin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:13:27 AM »
don't see the pic (icon for attachment shows, but no picture). any url for a pic? (seems like there should be one in the pictures and drawings area of the forum, maybe as a sticky)

Marvin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:15 AM »
one more detail: a few of the diagrams I've seen show a check valve between pump and csv. is this required or optional?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
I don't know why you can't see the picture.  It shows up for me.  Anyway try the link below.

Yes you need a check valve either on the suction side or before the CSV.

Marvin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
picture shows up in the last post.
I'll assume there is some check valve upstream somewhere (probably in well). It is an old system I just got at a camp that got flooded by Isaac. New pump has primed and worked fine, but I want the csv in there since I'm sorta starting from scratch. May get a smaller tank at some point, but the old one is going strong, having survived Katrina, Isaac, and who knows what else. thanks