Author Topic: Help on Correct CSV for Well System  (Read 5341 times)

Tman

• View Profile
Help on Correct CSV for Well System
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
Hi, I would appreciate help with selecting the correct CSV for my system. I have a old existing residential submersible well system for my house that has used a conventional 20 gal wellxtrol bladder pressure tank. Many many years ago I was given a 32 gal second bladder pressure tank which I installed with the 20 gal to reduce pump cycling. I believe the 20 gal 20+ year old tank is starting to leak so it is a good time to change over to a CSV system.  I plan to continuing using the 32 gal AO Smith (Aqua Air model V100)  at least until it fails. The 32 gal is about 13 years old so it  shouldn't be long.  The well stats are:  Pump-A.Y. McDonald Mfg. Co. , 3 wire submersible, 23075K3LB,  3/4 HP, 230V, 1 phase.  Well - 4" dia., 87 feet deep (it's in my basement so I'm not sure if that depth is from ground level or basement level), water table 34 ft, pump set 68 ft, Pipe - 1" sch 40 PVC, Pump Capacity from name plate - 10 GPM@50 psi.  When I open the valve at well head and flow check into a bucket it flows a little over 16 GPM, which seems consistent with pump curve. I have system pressure set approx at 42 on 62 off. Well has about 1.4 PPM iron and 21 grains hardness.  House is 4 bedroom, 3 full baths, but just 2 of us - retired. Low flow devices include furnace humidifier and R.O. unit. The valve will be located in the basement not in the well. The CSV1A looks easier to adjust then the CSV1W, but what valve would you recommend and can I purchase direct from you? I live in Indianapolis, In. 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Help on Correct CSV for Well System
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:06:35 AM »
With that size pump and the iron content, the CSV1A is your best choice.  And when the 32 gallon tank gives out, you can replace it with a 4.5 gallon size tank.  We would sell you a CSV1A for $206 freight included. 

Tman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply and on New Years Day. Happy New Year!  One last item I forgot to mention is I am installing a Stenner Proportional chlorination unit after the Pressure Tank. I assume once the pump shuts off some chlorine could migrate back toward the CSV. Do I need a check valve to prevent that or would the valve hold up?  How do I go about ordering a value form you?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
The check valve on the pump will keep flow from going backwards, so you shouldn't need anouther check valve. But I would install the chlorinator as far down line from the pressure tank as possible.  Call us at 800-652-0207 and we will help you out. Happy New Year!

Tman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »
Another question is should the pressure switch be before the CSV or after? Generally best practice dictates never putting any valve that may shut off flow between pump and pressure switch. I know you valve must be between the pr sw and pump when it is installed in the well so I assume it is ok, but is the 1 gal bypass impossible to plug?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »
Yes the 1 GPM bypass is impossible to plug.  The CSV always goes before the pressure tank/pressure switch or before any waterlines tee off.  The pressure switch should always be very close to the pressure tank.