Author Topic: Would a CSV help my irrigation issues?  (Read 6751 times)

pleddy

• View Profile
Would a CSV help my irrigation issues?
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
Hoping that someone can provide some guidance around my current situation as I am at a decision point on what path I should take:

Purchased a home that is on well water with Iron levels of 15.2 mg/L and was previously showing Total Coliform Bacteria in test with a strong H2S rotten egg smell. 
  - The well pump was replaced less than a year ago with a Grundfos 16S10-10 16gpm 1HP pump Submerisble Pump
  - The pump is installed @ 100' deep
  - There is a 40/60 pressure switch with adjustments of up to 5psi

We put in a new water treatment system
  - Pro-Source Plus PSP85-T52 85gal Pressure tank that has a 22gal drawdown at 40-60psi
  - Double tank ion exchange unit (40gal each) with Fleck 9100 water softener control valve
  - Multi-media Final Filter (27gal) with Fleck 7000 control value
  - Aquacil injection system after conditioner and before final tank
  - 1" copper piping between tanks and to outputs with 1" PVC from well into pressure tank

Irrigation System
 - 8 zones on 1 acre of land
 - Zones mostly using 2.5gpm rotor heads (Toro Super600 and Hunter PGP)
 - Zones consist of 5-7 heads with coverage on zones ranging from (100yd x 20yd) to (50yd x 20yd)
 - When pump kicks on and hits 60psi most zones all seem to work well enough
 - Water for irrigation goes from conditioner to outside and does not go through final filter
 - Seem to be seeing a 20-30psi drop in pressure from pressure switch to gauge on the backflow preventer due to water conditioner but depending on the zone and what pressure switch is reading we see pressure from 5-25psi when zone is on and do see that psi can be at 50psi when no zones are on
 - Bypassing the conditioner we get good pressure and volume

At this point I have a few options in front of me presented to get the sprinklers working well enough (house pressure is good enough but not great)
1) Sprinkler Guy says the conditioner is the issue and the media inside is too restrictive.  Could replace the brand new conditioner with a larger tank or swap out with different media.  (Not ideal as we are happy with the water quality we have and it drinkable now with no odor or concerns.  Don't want to trade off good water for better sprinklers.) [$3-4k]
2) If we don't swap out the softener to get better gpm and higher psi, then sprinkler guys suggested installing a 1/2 horse power pump so we reduce the amount of water coming into the house and cut the lawn sprinkler up and only put 4 heads on a line at one time. You would end up with 16 zones Which would cost about $4000 for the sprinkler redesign and about $2000 for the new pump. [$6k]
3) Water Guy suggests that we could put in a well pump control (http://aquasolutionllc.com/products9.php) that turns standard pump into a variable flow pump giving constant pressure at 60psi.  Would also suggest that we replace the pump to one that brings in 21gpm.  That way we get 60psi going into softener at higher gpm and thus should get output with higher psi/gpm going to irrigation [$3-4k]

The last option and the one that I am hoping is a viable solution would be the installation of a cycle stop value as many have stated here on this site.  I did bring this up with up with water guy and he said it would give constant pressure but that the value would constrict the gpm going into the softener.  With this stated, I am hearing lots of options that all have high costs associated to them and wondering if the installations of CSV1W or CSV1A.  Could I take the CSV1W and bring the pressure up to constant 65psi?  Would that help in this situation?  Any issues or concerns with such a setup?

Appreciate the support and guidance here as I am hoping that spending $200 on a CSV1W could give me another option here.
Thanks,
-Pete

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Would a CSV help my irrigation issues?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
The CSV1A would be best for adjusting it up to 65 PSI, and I am sure it would solve your problem. We can sell you one for $206 freight included.

pleddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
Is there a mounting bracket kit or connector kit to join with existing PVC piping?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »
All you need is a couple of 1" PVC male adapters, or a couple of 1 1/4" PVC female adapters.  The CSV1A has 1" female and 1 1/4" male threads on both ends.