Author Topic: Split water system - well feeds two buildings with buried T  (Read 2673 times)

Michigan hydrogeologist

• View Profile
Split water system - well feeds two buildings with buried T
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »
I have a system with a T in the line from the well.  One leg feeds the house with an open-loop geothermal system and typical household plumbing, and the second leg feeds the barn.  The system has two Well-X-trol 302 bladder tanks - one in each structure.  There is one backflow valve at the top of the submersible pump.  The system pressure switch is in the house.  I have a 20 gpm pump, and with only the geothermal system running, the pump runs about three minutes before shutting off.  I'd like to reduce the cycling of the pump.

How would I hook up the system?  Could I use one CSV in the house to control the pump, and put in a pressure reducing valve in the barn so that the high back pressure won't be too much for the faucets?  Or would I have a problem that the pump wouldn't kick on if I was only running water in the barn?  If needed, I have the ability to run an electrical line from the barn to the house via buried conduit installed between the two structures, thus I could also install parallel pressure switches in both locations to control the pump.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Split water system - well feeds two buildings with buried T
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »
You are trying to make this harder than it needs to be.  Just install a CSV prior to the tee that splits off to the barn.  The two big tanks won't hurt anything, but later on when you need to replace the tanks you can replace them with a little 4.5 gallon size tank.