Author Topic: Occam's razor - CyclesTopValves  (Read 9473 times)

Electron Partier

• View Profile
Occam's razor - CyclesTopValves
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:51:23 AM »
Kudo's to Cary Austin and Staff.

I see Cary Austin is aware of Occam's razor, as he mentioned this great philosophy in a previous post (see No. 2 Pencil).

It is rare to find simple solutions to complex problems, and it seems to me that CSV's are a fantastic simple solution, and is the simpler solution (see Occam's razor), when compared to using multiple bladder tanks.

It took me awhile to figure out what CSV's do, after consuming this site, I finally got it. This site has the answer plastered everywhere, but it took me awhile to really get it, this is what cemented my understanding...

So I was thinking about this guy a year ago that came out to fix my private well that quit working. This guy, I'll call him Joe. I didn't treat Joe very well, because 99 times out of 100 you usually get people fixing things that really don't know what they are doing. I had convinced myself that my pump in my well was going bad. It was drilled in 1998 so the well pump is 17 years old. Something was causing the 20amp breaker to blow, it would run for awhile and blow the breaker. So I incorrectly figured the pump was failing, or had failed. I was ready (not happily) to spend 5 or 6 Grand on a Variable Speed Pump.

So I'm talking to Joe about getting a Variable Speed Pump cause the current pump was bad and 17 years old. Joe said, dude hang on, let me make some tests, I don't know if your 17 year old pump is bad just yet. I'm thinking to myself this guy, doesn't know anything, but I let him do his thing.

So Joe replaced the box with some large capacitors in it and said, let's try this for a few days and see if the current draw on your pump is greater than 12 amps. This solved my problem and I didn't have to replace the well pump yet. It's been over 1 year, and pump is still working...

In closing I now realize and remember that Joe was a hell of a lot smarter than I knew, because he was trying to tell me about CSV technology, I wasn't listening. Good Grief, I feel like such an idiot. He wanted to help me install CSV without replacing the pump, of course being the dumbshit at the time I wouldn't hear of it, I wanted Variable Speed Pump, as I bought into the hype. Luckily I never did anything.

About two years ago I installed an additional Bladder tank, based on the advice of the driller that drilled the well. He knows nothing of CSV. So now I'm feeling so smart because I have two tanks, and now my pump is not cycling as much....

Not!

Here's where I finally got it:

I'm outside today, filling my pool manually with my garden hose. I can hear my pump kicking on and off. On and Off. On and Off.

Oh my God! I'm wearing out my pump when I'm using a lot of water, the stupid bladder tanks are not helping that much, only delaying the cycles by 30 or 40 gallons. I had to pump at least 800 gallons to top my pool off that was 20 cycles in a short period of time.

-R
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:03:39 AM by TymerTopCat »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Occam's razor - CyclesTopValves
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:16:57 AM »
Yeah it doesn't matter what size or how many tanks you have, if you are not using the maximum amount the pump can produce, the pump will still cycle on and off.  The larger or more tanks you have, the less the pump cycles, but it still cycles.  A CSV will work with any size or any number of tanks to eliminate the cycling for long term uses of water like filling a pool or irrigation.

You really didn't need the extra tank, and the first tank you had was probably larger than needed when using a CSV.  But except for those tanks being a waste of space and money, the CSV will work fine with as many tanks as you want.  The larger or the more tanks you have, the higher the pressure setting of the CSV needs to be in relation to your pressure switch.  If you are using a 40/60 pressure switch, the CSV needs to be set at about 58 PSI, so it doesn't take too long to fill the tank(s) after you turn off all the faucets.

Thanks for the kind words.  Many people think all the information in our web page is confusing.  But after they finally "get it" they come back and say it is the most informative web page they have seen.  To be such a simple little valve, the CSV has a complicated explanation and a million different ways to be used. :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:19:08 AM by Cary Austin »