Author Topic: Which CSV to Buy? - Here are My Specs  (Read 22043 times)

WellSaid

• View Profile
Which CSV to Buy? - Here are My Specs
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »
Pump Specs:
  • Goulds model 5GS10422
  • 5gpm
  • 1 HP
  • 1 phase 2 wire
  • 230V

Well Info:
  • Total depth - 500 ft.
  • Static water level - 33
  • Amount of reservoir - 700.5 gallons
  • Yield of well - 1.46 gpm
  • Draw down - 145, tested for 6 hours

Water Info:
  • Highly acidic
  • High iron

Questions:
  • What csv system do I use?
  • What kind of iron filter is best?
  • And where should it go in the system?
  • Any specific micron level of the iron filter?
  • With acidic water, should I not go with the stainless steel version?
  • Can I get a dry installation valve?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:18:06 AM by WellSaid »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Which CSV to Buy? - Here are My Specs
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 07:12:25 AM »
Hi WellSaid
It looks like you have a 700 gallon cistern storage tank.  With a well that only makes 1.43 GPM the storage tank is a good idea.  However, you should have only a float switch and Cycle Sensor for the well pump.  At the very most maybe a ball valve or a 1 GPM Dole valve on the well pump.

The best place for a CSV is on the booster pumping out of the cistern. 

WellSaid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 07:28:10 AM »
I currently have a Well-X-Trol 302 pressure tank connected to a tee along with a pressure switch, check valve, shutoff valve, drain, pressure relief valve, & gauge. I'm thinking something like this setup would work. Do you think? http://cyclestopvalves.com/smf/index.php?topic=2188.msg3290#msg3290

« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:01:12 AM by WellSaid »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:14:51 AM »
Yes that setup will work great with the booster pump coming out of the 700 gallon storage tank.  But you do not need a pressure tank/pressure switch or a CSV on the well pump that feeds the storage tank.  Maybe you could post a pic or two of your setup?

WellSaid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
I don't have a cistern storage tank. I don't think I can post a picture. Maybe because I have only a few posts? I will send the picture via your contact email listed on your homepage.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
OK I think I am finally up to speed.  So the 700 gallon reservoir is the amount stored in the well between 33' and 500'.  If I use the 33' static level and look at the pressure the 5GS10 can build, there will be 230 PSI on the inlet to the CSV and all the pipe prior to the CSV.  This is a little more pressure than we like for the CSV1A.  230 PSI coming into the CSV1A and 50 PSI going out will be a differential pressure of 180 PSI.  While the CSV1A will work with that much differential pressure, we do not recommend more than 125 PSI differential.  The higher the differential pressure the sooner it will wear out the CSV1A.

With systems that have high differential pressure like this we use two CSV1A valves and stair step the pressure down.  The first CSV1A would be set at 140 PSI, and the second CSV1A would be set at 50 PSI.  This way the differential pressure is split between the two valves.  Both CSV1A valves will last a long time with only 90 PSI differential on each.

However, having said that, you only have a 5 GPM pump.  The CSV will only work between 1 and 5 GPM.  It is not nearly as useful as it would be if you had a 10-25 GPM pump.  With only a 5 GPM pump, it only takes a 44 gallon size pressure tank (10 gallons of draw) to get long run times with a 5 GPM pump. 

I would love to sell you a Cycle Stop Valve.  But this is one of those times when just a regular pressure tank might be best.

WellSaid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
If I understand you correctly, are you saying that because I can get a 44 gallon sized pressure tank, there's no need for a cycle stop valve?

Buying a wx250 along with the fittings would cost around $650.

Buying a CSV along with the PK1A, would cost $519.

Is this doable? Wouldn't I also be increasing the longevity of my pump and have more constant flow of water if I could do the CSV system?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
Yes with the extra CSV1A and the PK1A kit you can make it work.  Just need to check the pipe coming to the CSV to make sure it can handle the 230 PSI.  But I found a 44 gallon Amtrol tank for 300 bucks here.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1277660&KPID=1160902&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Sump/Utility_Pumps&pla=pla_1160902&k_clickid=3de52fdc-4edc-4249-a8b6-5851a0612dd8

WellSaid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
The incoming water line is 1" PVC. Not sure if it matters, but the pump set is 450'.

Just to make sure I told you correctly, here is what my well report said back in 89:
  • Static water level is 33 when not pumping.
  • Amount of reservoir is 700.5 gallons (depth of water column X 1.5/gal/ft.)
  • All depths at which water was encountered - 85 flowing into well

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 01:23:10 PM »
1" sch 40 PVC is good to 450 PSI.  The glue joints are good to 270 PSI.  So you should be OK with 230 coming in.  But even without a CSV it doesn't take a very large tank to reduce the cycles for a 5 GPM pump like it does for a 15-25 GPM pump.  The 44 gallon tank is double the size you really need for a 5 GPM pump.  And when you do not use a CSV it is best to have at least double the size of tank recommended.

WellSaid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »
So if I was to go with the csv's would I just install the two back to back?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »
Yes.  One right after the other.

WellSaid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
With my current pressure tank (302), I was looking up the specs and it is rated at 150 psi. Does that mean that's the max it can handle? If so, might I be okay with one csv?

What about an iron filter before the csv?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:29:07 PM by WellSaid »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
It is the pipes before the CSV that will see the 230 PSI.  The pressure tank and everything after the CSV will only see the 40 to 60 PSI that the pressure switch maintains.  I use those 150 PSI rated tanks for golf courses where the pressure switch runs from 120/140 PSI and the CSV holds a steady 130 PSI.

Believe it or not, I have cities with 100,000+ people in them that only has a WX302 tank for the entire city.  With a CSV an 86 gallon tank can supply a big golf course or a large city without a water tower.

WellSaid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 05:21:11 PM »
I'm trying to understand and I think I'm confused. :o I'm pretty sure there is a pressure switch and a pressure relief valve before my pressure tank and nothing else but pipe from the well. Are you saying those two things can decrease the pressure going into the pressure tank?

Also, off topic, should I get a different sized well pump when it fails and needs replacement?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:14:44 AM by WellSaid »