Author Topic: Against the Well Drillers Advice  (Read 11733 times)

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Against the Well Drillers Advice
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:45:07 PM »
I have a new home with a new irrigations system. The Irrigation system has 13 zone with 6 heads on each zone at a total of 18 gpm. I have a close friend that is in the irrigation business that told me that when I had a well drilled to have them install a Cycle Stop Valve.

When I contracted with a well driller for a new well and I asked him about the Cycle Stop Valve he immediately went negative. So I just dropped it. We drilled to 410' and installed a 3hp pump putting out about 30gpm.

After the well was installed and the irrigation system was on, the pump
would cycle on and off about every 4 or 5 minutes. This would go on for 4½ hours every morning. Common sense told me this was going to cause premature failure of the submersible pump.

So against my drillers advise, I installed the CSV125-3. Now the pump comes on at 40psi, pumps up to 50psi and stays there the entire time that the irrigation system is running. Once the irrigation system turns off, the pressure goes to 60psi and the pump shuts off.

*Everything works just like your website said it would. *

*I am a very happy camper.*

Thanks

Warren

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:46:57 PM by Cary Austin »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Against the Well Drillers Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
The best way to know if your pump man or driller knows what he/she is doing, is to find out what they say about a Cycle Stop Valve.  If they really understood pumps they would know the backpressure from a CSV makes the pump/motor draw lower amps, run cooler, and last longer.  Not to mention that by using a CSV to eliminate cycling, the pump, tank, switch, and everything in the pump system will naturally last much longer. Another plus of the CSV is the strong constant pressure, which makes for much better showers and sprinkler patterns.

If they "go negative" about a CSV, they probably have no clue how a pump works.  But occasionally there are pump men who understand how a CSV works and still "go negative".  There is nothing I can say about that except that you don't want a pump installer who is working for his benefit, not yours.

Sometimes you have no choice as to which pump man you are using, when he/she is the only one in the area.  In that case you just have to work around them like Warren did in the above post.