Author Topic: Positoning the CSV  (Read 4154 times)

whirly

• View Profile
Positoning the CSV
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
Hi,

Newby here with some simple questions:

1) I'm on catchment on the Big Island of Hawaii. We have earthquakes a couple times a year in the 3-4 magnitude. I read somewhere on your site (can't find it now) that the CSV shouldn't be installed in a "bind" or weight bearing situation. The picture below is of my current system and the graphics inserted are my current game plan. The copper piping was here when we bought and I really don't want to make a lot of changes in the plumbing system but I am assuming that it was used instead of PVC for support of the filters in the probable event of earthquake. I'm thinking moving the horizontal piping from the tank up to where the outside bib plumbing is would be sufficient support when placing the CSV directly above the pump.

Your thoughts please.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Positoning the CSV
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »
If you are using the CSV1A, you don't have to worry about it being in a bind.  That would be a good location for it.  Plus the CSV1A has some extra ports you can use to attach the pressure switch, so you won't need another tee.  But if you want to add another tee for the pressure switch you can.  Hoping that little pipe goes left to the pressure tank, as the pressure switch should always be close to the tank.

whirly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:47:45 PM »
If you are using the CSV1A, you don't have to worry about it being in a bind.  That would be a good location for it.  Plus the CSV1A has some extra ports you can use to attach the pressure switch, so you won't need another tee.  But if you want to add another tee for the pressure switch you can.  Hoping that little pipe goes left to the pressure tank, as the pressure switch should always be close to the tank.

Thanks that makes my life SOOOO much easier :o

As for the pressure switch, the pipe on the left goes to the outside hose bibs but the tank is in the lower right hand corner of the pic. However,  since I've never messed with this pump I made the assumption that the Square D Pressure Switch used the black wire coming out of the lower left side of the switch housing going to the what I thought was a pressure sensor on the stainless steel pump housing for it's pressure and I could put that pressure sensor in the upright portion of the tank pipe.

Am I wrong?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:30:38 AM »
That little grey box on the side with the two yellow wires is the pressure switch. I think that box on top of the motor is just the starting capacitors.  The tube coming out the bottom of the grey pressure switch needs to be plumbed to one of the ports on the CSV1A or to a tee close to the pressure tank.  You can also just add a new pressure switch after or to the CSV1A, and just wire around the existing switch.  I have a wiring diagram of how to do that in the PK1A kit installation instructions.

whirly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
What is this fitting the pressure pressure hose to the switch called?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:41 AM »
It is a poly tube to pipe thread connector.  But I don't know what size.  The pipe size is easy to figure out but the tube size could be a couple of different ones.