Author Topic: Bought a house with PK1A Pside-Kick installed  (Read 2959 times)

GloNDark

• View Profile
Bought a house with PK1A Pside-Kick installed
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
We bought a house in January with a PK1A Pside-Kick installed that has been in the house for a little over 9 years according to the previous owners.

I love how small the system is and it delivers "Ok" water pressure. In my search for how to bump up the pressure a little I read that it is not good to have the hydrants and sprinklers before the CSV. This house currently has 3 drip systems with over 12 trees on each one, 3 sprinklers runs with 4 to 5 sprinklers each, and 1 frost free hydrant in the on the back half of the property that are all plumbed before the CSV. I'm not sure if the sprinklers are using the the full amount that the pump can put out and I don't know how to test/confirm that is it. I know that the hydrant out back, has low pressure at first, then has a burst of HUGE water pressure and then comes down to a normal (Not sure what PSI) pressure when left wide open. I am pretty certain that it is plumbed before the CSV.

Am I doomed to have a failed pump with this setup? This is our first house on a well and i'm pretty new to the whole setup.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Bought a house with PK1A Pside-Kick installed
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
Opening a hydrant to low pressure then all of a sudden having a burst of pressure does mean this is tied in prior to the CSV.  Which is OK as long as you use enough water from this hydrant to keep the pump from building to 60 PSI and shut off.  If while running anything teed into the line before the CSV the pump still builds up pressure and shuts off, you are not letting out enough water.  It is best for all water outlets to be after the CSV, but if you make sure to use enough to keep the pump running, you can use hydrants that come off the line before the CSV.

We make a CSV that fits inside the well casing for system that have hydrants prior to the pressure tank/pressure switch.  The CSV125 can be installed inside the well casing, or in a valve box prior to the first tee.  It is not as easy to install a CSV in the well or a valve box, but they only cost 63 bucks, which can make up for the inconvenience of installing.

GloNDark

• View Profile
Re: Bought a house with PK1A Pside-Kick installed
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
I will have to dig up the well and see if I can drop one in prior to where it t's off for the sprinklers and hydrant. Hoping that's the case, and I don't have to get into the well case itself.

Thanks for the quick response!