Author Topic: Extremely Deep Well, Multiple Appliances, Low Pressure  (Read 1813 times)

slowwater

• View Profile
Extremely Deep Well, Multiple Appliances, Low Pressure
« on: December 06, 2019, 01:13:33 PM »
Hi,  I am analyzing what to do in this house I just moved into about a year ago.  The well is 640 ft,  with a 1 1/2 HP 7GPM pump.  I have a classical setup,  a AMTROL pressure tank 40 gallons I believe.  I turned my pressure up to 50/70.  Problem is water pressure remains very low,  and of course there is a long cycle time you can really feel in the shower.  My suspicion is that I need some kind of booster.  After the pressure tank,  water moves through a softener,  then a 10 micron filter,  then upstairs to the showers,  etc.  Looking for a remedy that makes sense.  Willing to throw out the current tank and go with some version of cycle stop setup.  But,  not convinced it will cure my pressure problem without a booster.  Any insight or advice would be welcomed.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Extremely Deep Well, Multiple Appliances, Low Pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »
50/70 is already a lot of pressure.  It just may not be getting to the showers.  A 10 Micron filter will have a lot of pressure loss, especially when it gets dirty.  A softener adds more losses.  Upstairs loses another 10 PSI.  Most submersible pumps can be turned up as high as needed.  You maybe able to turn that one up to 80/100 or so.  But if the filters are restricting the pressure it won't help.  You need a pressure gauge after the last filter to see what you really have.  Then whatever loss you have through the filter when they are clean can be made up at the pressure switch.  Of course a constant 60 from a CSV would be much stronger pressure through the filters and to the shower than when the pump is continually cycling between 50 and 70.  But you need to set the constant pressure from the CSV high enough to make up for losses through the filter and to the upstairs. 

You only need a booster pump if your well pump isn't strong enough to build more pressure.  And even then it works better to install a larger well pump than to double pump with a booster.

slowwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
Hey Cary,

Thanks for that reply.  I just finally moved the pressure tank up to 48 psi,  it was 38.  That changed things just a little. The range is still 50 - 70.  I think I could handle a little more,  but not much more before things get a little risky.   A new 1 1/2 hp well pump is about 3,000 with labor,  because of the depth,  so I want to try to avoid that if possible.  I am leaning towards getting what you produce,  with a 10 gallon tank,  and high pressure valve,  either 70 or 80.   Then I will have the flexibility to fine tune it upward a little at a time.  I will probably call and discuss it with you after the holidays.  Have a good time with your family.

Phil

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »
If you got the pressure switch turned up to 50/70 you will have better pressure.  Now if you install a CSV1A to maintain 65 PSI constant it will seem like much stronger pressure than when it is constantly cycling between 50 and 70.  65 constant will be so much stronger you may not need to turn it up higher.

slowwater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »
Hey Cary,

I agree.  Even with the higher pressure/improvement now,  the pressure does not last very long upstairs in a shower,  so constant pressure at 65 would be a huge improvement.  I think we know what to do.  Now it is just a matter of time.  Early 2020 I will pull the trigger. Thanks for the guidance.

Phil