Author Topic: Short Term Vacation Rental 20 people  (Read 1891 times)

Jonny

• View Profile
Short Term Vacation Rental 20 people
« on: June 28, 2020, 08:45:10 AM »
Greetings,

Im glad I ran across your site last week. Was just about to go buy an 80 gallon tank because I thought ours was shot since it's been short cycling a lot and tank probably 10+ years old. Well, I've been reading your info on site a bunch and pretty much sold but just have a few questions on what to buy on Monday. Here are some more facts first. Hold's up to 20 people, 5 showers, 5 sinks, bike wash station, 5 toilets, 2 washers maybe 3 soon and usually always a drip or small leak somewhere until I catch it and fix but that could be a month or so til I find. So it's full blast for 3 days 15 people then nothing for a week then full blast 10 people 2 days then 6 days, then maybe we will stop by etc. Well puts out 10-12 gallons per min and motor prob 3/4 or 1 horsepower and is at least 7 yrs old but maybe close to 10ish so prob on it's way out soon.

Knowing all this should I just get the PK1A Kit with a 10 gallon or 20 gallon tank because of the real tiny leaks?

We have all pex with some brass and some plastic fittings all over so is it better 30/50 or 40/60 setup. Been at 40/60 for 5 yrs no problems and were slowly making every fixture energy star

We were gonna set sediment filter on output side of tank and valve also to help with sand in fixtures

And I"m thinking of getting for safety relay module also

plenty of space in crawlspace for your setup we have a 40 gallon tank now and had space for 80 gallon

Any other thoughts on what to buy and how to design ?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Short Term Vacation Rental 20 people
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 04:40:24 PM »
If you have a drip or a leak of more than 1 GPM the CSV will just keep the pump running and size of tank would not matter.  But with leaks of less than 1 GPM and times when so many people are using the water, a PK1ALT would be best.  The LT is for Less Tank, as it would be best to pick up a 20 gallon size tank locally to save on freight.  A Water Worker brand tank in about a 20 gallon size is good.   A 20 gallon tank only holds 5 gallons of water, the same way an 80 gallon tank only holds 20 gallons of water.  With the CSV the tank is more a mechanical timer than for water storage.  Your water comes from the well and pump, not the tank.  With a 40/60 switch, CSV set for 50 PSI, and a tank that holds 5 gallons of water, the pump will run for 2.5 minutes to refill the tank from 50 to 60 before shutting off.  It doesn't start this 2.5 minute tank fill timer until the toilet is full, the showers are off, and no one is using water.  With several people in the house, someone will use water within this 2.5 minute time, the pump does not shut off, and the timer starts again.  It is very common for the CSV to make the pump run continuously 30 minutes to 2 hours, during times when people are home getting ready for school, work, or later to bed.  This makes the pump only cycle once when it would normally cycle many times, even with a large pressure tank.

You will lose a little pressure through the filter and distance to the fixtures, so start with at least 40/60 and the CSV1A set to 50 PSI in the PK1AKT kit.  Also make sure there are no hydrants or water lines teed off prior to the PK1A kit.

Jonny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 10:28:05 PM »
Update:

We installed the CSV today successfully with no leaks that's the good news for now. We left old system 30 gallon (10yr old tank) and old T as is and now when we turn things on (dishwasher, sink, etc... randomly) the pump goes from 60 to 40 in about 60 secs or slightly less. My guess is the tank is waterlogged ? I'm prepared to just go out and get a new T and new 20 gallon tank tomorrow if this sounds like it may be the problem still ??

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 06:57:35 AM »
A 30 gallon tank should give you 6-8 gallons of water before the pump comes on.  You can check that with a bucket test.  You can also check the air charge and see if any water comes out the air Schrader valve.  But yes it sounds like you need a new tank.  Water worker is a good brand for a tank in the 20 gallon size.