Author Topic: Adjusting the CSV1A at installation.  (Read 2969 times)

sarg

• View Profile
Adjusting the CSV1A at installation.
« on: November 19, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »
Mr. Austin ... Now I'm pondering the installation steps when my CSV1A arrives. When I replace my current set up I'm sure I'll be doing some head scratching ... as usual.

Today's questions stuck in my head = Is the CSV1A preset at 50 psi ? Does one turn of the adjustment equate to 5 psi ?
My pressure switch will be a 30/50 and my usage target will be 45 psi ............ so on arrival would an adjustment of one ccw turn get me in the ballpark ?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Adjusting the CSV1A at installation.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 11:42:29 AM »
When you ordered the CSV1A you could have requested it set at 50 PSI.  If you did not give us a pressure to set, it will be close to 50 PSI but has not been tested.  Adjusting the CSV1A is easy.  Just make sure to run about 3 GPM, which is the same as most showers, and turn the bolt on the CSV until it is holding 50 PSI constant.  Call if you need help and we will talk you through it.

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 12:51:34 PM »
So after all is installed ...... I do not mess with the CSV until after I get the system up.
Then .... Turn the faucets on at the shower and then slowly modify the setting on the CSV until the gauge on the pressure tank shows my target of 45 PSI steady ? 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 04:46:05 PM »
Yes that is all there is to it.  But the pump has to be running before adjusting the CSV.  If the pump is off, wait for the tank to empty and the pump to start before setting the CSV as needed.

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 04:48:22 PM »
Thank you Sir.

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »
So ............ I think I can call the replacement scenario a success. No leaks and the CSV seems to hold the flow at 43 psi.
Two interesting details ....... the old water heater had a leaky 3/4 inlet nipple at it's base and the bottom of the tank was rusted through in a couple places. When I removed the fiberglass tank I noted there was water inside sloshing around .... so the bladder definitely had a leak. 14 years was a good amount of time and we got our money's worth ....... Very happy that our water system is "refreshed".
Now I just have to plan on a pump replacement because the check valve at the pump is loosing pressure and the system cycles about every hour.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:36:59 AM by sarg »

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 07:51:17 AM »
Now our replacement is complete.
On Thursday we had the well pump replaced with a Gould and the check valve is holding solid. The CSV is operating at about 43 psi and we have no leaks. Found out the level of our 200 foot well is at 113 feet .... so we have a much smaller reserve ( 130 gallons ) than we thought we had. The water level used to be at 30 feet but that was 40 years ago.
We let the system rest for a full day to get the mud and other crap to settle in the well and now we will live with "silty" water for awhile. Just have to remember to wet vac the dirt, rusty crap & silt out of the toilet tank in a few days.