Author Topic: 10 months Progress Report tweaking needed cutoff  (Read 1704 times)

Jonny

• View Profile
10 months Progress Report tweaking needed cutoff
« on: March 11, 2021, 07:35:47 AM »
Once again we have a home in mountains we rent for up to 15 or so people. We installed your valve last July (10 months ago) and put a new AO Smith 36 gallon diaphragm pump in set to 40/60. So far so good but I'd like to tweak if possible. My main goal is to make pump last really long. We have 5 showers/5 toilets etc... mostly eco stuff. I'm curious if we can tweak the pressure switch to cut in at 35psi or 30 psi and maybe even go 63 or 65 psi on the high cutoff ??? I can't find anything anywhere about that? We have pex everywhere so don't think the 65psi will be a problem? but I don't think going 35psi or 30psi would cause too much inconvenience.

Let me know you thoughts on pros cons on messing with this or am I splitting hairs ?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: 10 months Progress Report tweaking needed cutoff
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 08:03:31 AM »
You already have a Cycle Stop Valve and a 36 gallon tank (holds 8 gallons of water) is several times larger than you need.  If your CSV is set up correctly the pump should run continuously while using any water, and then take a minute or two to shut off after closing all the faucets.  If it works like that your pump will last a LONG time.  Widening the pressure switch band width will over-stretch the diaphragm in the tank and cause big fluctuation in pressure.  You have already wasted money on a 36 gallon size tank, you can waste even more getting a larger tank if you want.  But you already have a CSV.  I don't know why you are even thinking about your water system? 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:41:53 AM by Cary Austin »

zannej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 10:59:45 PM »
Jonny, you can get a pressure switch that is adjustable. I hope I'm allowed to link, apologies if not, but an example is this 40/60 one that can adjust down to 20 and up to 65. https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-9013FYG2J24-Differential/dp/B00CONCJHS/
I have no idea how to adjust it, but I hope there are instructions. You can see if there are similar switches.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 07:07:51 PM »
I didn't mean to be short with you.  Yes almost any pressure switch will let you widen the bandwidth by tightening on the small adjustment screw.  However, when I see someone do this I know they are having a cycling problem, which the CSV can solve.  You can run something like 30/65 if you want.  But that means sometimes you will have 65 and sometimes only 30 PSI, and most people don't like that, which is why they call me. 

With the 36 gallon tank you have that holds 8 gallons of water, using the CSV makes this a mechanical timer.  The CSV fills the tank at 1 GPM, so you could make it take 8 minutes to shut off after the last faucet is closed. Setting the CSV at 55 PSI with a 40/60 switch will give you about a 2 minute timer before the pump shuts off.  The idea is to keep the pump running until everyone is finished using water, which takes out all the cycles.  Within 2 minutes someone else will usually turn on water, and the pump just keeps running until the water stops being used.