Author Topic: Sabbatical now required from the CSV adventure.  (Read 1665 times)

sarg

• View Profile
Sabbatical now required from the CSV adventure.
« on: April 27, 2021, 12:44:49 PM »
My luck is not shining through.
With the new second CSV and stainless steel barbed fittings the leakage is more pronounced now than with the first edition.
And I was very cautious in trying to do everything correctly. Initially I studied the the valve and fittings and had issues getting the currently leaking side to start. I took a closer look and the threads were deformed as the picture shows. I took a razor knife and carefully shaved the threads at the specific location so the 1 1/4 stainless threaded properly.
This well is into my workshop so I have no urgency until the wife's flowers start to grow. I think it best to leave it alone for a week or so ... because Bob really does have a temper from time to time.

Incidentally .. when I called your facility the young lady that answered the phone was truly a joy to have a conversation with .... a remarkably pleasant personality over the phone that was immediately appreciated ...............  with the best "Texas" accent I've ever experienced.

A true asset.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:46:50 PM by sarg »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Sabbatical now required from the CSV adventure.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 01:11:46 PM »
I am sorry you are still having a problem!  Are you using the same SS connectors you used on the last valve?  I run that machine personally and make all of those myself.  I try really hard to make perfect parts and the threads look good.  I don't know why I haven't had thousands of others leaking as they are all the same?  You might need to use Rectorseal or some kind of pipe dope that hardens.  I still think it is the male threaded parts that are the problem.  I will send you the same valve made in Stainless instead of plastic if you like?  But I usually have more problems with stainless to Stainless threads than the plastic ones.

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 08:37:08 PM »
No ... the first attempt was with the PVC connectors and because they would not seal ...  I ordered some stainless from Supplyhouse.com thinking the threads would be "better".
Fifty years ago I made a living as a machinist having gone through the GE Apprentice program and I have to admit ......... this failure at the plumbing stuff is indeed frustrating.

You've been more than generous ....... Many thanks.

All the Rectorseal I can find on line is "Soft-set or flexible-set". I currently have Oatey "Great White" brand.
Is there a better option ?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 06:52:38 AM »
Most Stainless fittings and a lot of PVC comes from China and the threads are questionable.  If the Oatley Great White didn't work I would try the "soft-set".  Really sorry you are having this problem as it should be a non-issue.

Thanks for the kind words about the girls who run the place.  One is my wife.  One has been with me so long she treats me like she is my wife.  And the other is my Daughter In Law.  My son and I just do what we are told.  Funny many people call just to hear their Texas accent.  We used to try and hide our accent, but now we think of it as a badge of honor.  We may talk funny.  But we can normally fix a water system.  Yours seems to be the exception and we all fell bad for your trouble with the thread leaks.