Author Topic: Pretty sure this is not right...  (Read 2240 times)

rmarlar

• View Profile
Pretty sure this is not right...
« on: May 24, 2021, 03:46:34 PM »
We recently purchased this property and the well did not seem like it was operating correctly.  In doing some research and learning about wells and their associated pieces, I believe this one is plumbed incorrectly for the CSV that is installed. We definitely don't get the constant pressure advantage of a CSV system.  Quite the opposite. If I understand it right, the CSV in the pic is not really doing anything.  Hopefully my pic shows enough. I'm thinking that just relocating the CSV to the piping coming directly out of the well may do the trick.  Am I thinking to simplistic?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pretty sure this is not right...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 06:54:55 AM »
That is the CSV1A which is adjustable up to 150 PSI. What pressure is your pressure switch and CSV adjusted to work at?

rmarlar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 08:10:39 AM »
Currently it's at 40/60.  It was 30/50.  I'm only assuming that the CSV is set to work with the 30/50 setting but I haven't confirmed.  I intend to go through all of the settings and will likely end up at 40/60 on the pressure switch with the CSV adjusted to 50.  Is it plumbed correctly?  The piping on the far end is supply to the house. It seems to me that with the CSV in it's current location, it's not allowing it to work correctly even if all of the pressures were set correctly since the pump basically has a direct path to the house once it comes on.  What we get in the house is decent pressure as the tank empties.  Once it reaches 40psi and the pump kicks on, we have great pressure until it kicks off.  Aldo, if a toilet flushes and the pump is not on, the shower goes to almost nothing.  Is this all a product of just pressures set incorrectly or the CSV in the wrong place. Or, both.  I would think that the CSV would need to be before the tee at the bottom.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:17:23 AM »
Sorry I should have looked at the picture first.  No it is not installed in the right place.  The way your system is plumbed you will need to put the CSV on the pipe coming down from the well head before it tees to the tank and the house.  Then with a 40/60 switch and the large tank you have you want the CSV1A adjusted to hold 55 PSI constant while running a shower or something at about 3 GPM flow.

rmarlar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 08:49:06 AM »
Awesome!!  Thanks for confirming.  I'll update when I get it changed and set correctly!!

rmarlar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
Morning!! I got some of the work done this weekend...  I meant to get a current pic but I didn't. Attached is the same pic with some graphics. Not much changed but I do have another question that came up.  I also have to change my gauge as it doesn't zero.  Once I get that done I can fine tune the pressures.  The simple change I did, helped but the well doesn't seem to cycle correctly. Seems that it cycles too much.  That could be due to my gauge not reading right or could be related to this question. 

While completing the location change of the CSV (located to where the circle is in the pic), I noticed that the installers put in a check valve in the system where the black line is drawn on the pic.  The arrow on the check valve has the arrow pointing towards the tank.  I'm not sure of there logic in putting a check valve there.  Seems to me that the flow arrow would only be right 50% of the time when the well was filling the tank and not when demand needed water from the tank.  My question is, should I completely remove the check valve or relocate it to the same line that the CSV is on coming out of the well head?

Currently, best I can tell until installing gauge, is set at 40/60psi with the CSV at 55psi. Again, water pressure in the house is much more consistent but I don't believe the well comes on when it should.

rmarlar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 01:12:16 PM »
If I've answered my own question, let me know...  I've for check valve in the forum and from what I've read, I just need to eliminate it.  It wasn't doing anything for or with the well. To me, it was not allowing water to flow out of the pressure tank.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »
Sorry, just got to this. No you do not want a check valve in that location.  I couldn't see it from the picture.  It could have the guts removed and is just being used as a coupling.  Otherwise no water would be able to get out of the tank.

That being said, if the check valve is not functioning your problem maybe not having the correct 35 PSI air charge in the tank.

rmarlar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
Thanks!!...  It appeared to have guts in it and I would have removed it yesterday but didn't have the stuff.  Once I get a good gauge and recheck all pressures as well as remove check valve, I'll see where I'm at.