Author Topic: Recommended Pump / CSV / etc. for New House  (Read 2356 times)

Bubba

• View Profile
Recommended Pump / CSV / etc. for New House
« on: August 05, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
I'm building a new house in a rural area. First time on a well, and would appreciate some help with recommended pump, CSV, pressure tank, etc.. I'm sold on the CSV concept, but not sure about best pump and sizing. I want to put in the best system for good pressure, water quality, and the absolute least maintenance issues going forward.

- Shallow well has been dug and 36" I.S. diameter vertical "casing" installed
- 5' deep water in the well casing
- TOP of water in the well casing is 20' below level of future CSV valve and pressure tank
- 2nd/3rd storey fixtures could be an additional 15'-20' above CSV valve and pressure tank
- Distance from well casing to house inlet is approx. 250'
- Plan to set submersible pump vertically at bottom of well casing, so pump intake will be approx. 3.5' below top of water level (23.5' below future CSV valve)
- So 3.5' pumpable water x 3' I.S. diamater = 185 US Gal. water storage
- Measured recovery rate of well = 7-8 US gpm
- Planning on 1-1/4" (not 1") HD polyethylene (165 psi?) pipe from pump to house because of 250' distance
- House ~ 2,000 sq.ft., 4 bedrooms, 2-1/2 baths
- Peak Demand = 14 gpm? (based on charts on Cycle Stop website, etc.)
- Total daily water requirements = 300+ US gal. per day

Would like to use a submersible pump with flow inducer sleeve, CSV valve, and small pressure tank. CSV valve and pressure tank will be located in conditioned basement of the new house.

Based on word-of-mouth from neighbors, it's highly likely I will need some sort of hydrogen peroxide and carbon filter system to take care of sulphur smell and possibly iron content. I haven't had detailed water analysis yet, but I'm sure there will be some sort of filter system added to the system.

1.) Do you agree with my planned 1-1/4" HDPE pipe size, or do you recommend something different?
2.) Do you agree with my Peak Demand 14 gpm assumption?
3.) Do I want 10 gpm pump, or 15 gpm pump, or something different?
4.) Do I want 3/4 hp (because of distance), or bigger or smaller?
5.) Do I want 2 wire or 3 wire pump with CSV valve? (I'm assuming 1 phase, 230 volt)
6.) Meyers pumps have a good reputation around here, but I'm in no way partial to them. I looked at the Meyers "Predator Plus" series (their best I think), for example #2ST72-15PLUS-P4, 15 gpm 3/4 hp. Or do you recommend Grundfoss instead?
7.) From what I've read on the Cycle Stop website, I think I need the CSV1A valve with 10 US Gal. pressure tank.
8.) Do I want to set CSV desired pressure at 60 psi (pressure switch 50/70) or higher?
9.) I notice the 10 gal. pressure tank is factory pressurized to 35 psi. Can this be changed to 60 psi?

Thank you

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Recommended Pump / CSV / etc. for New House
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »
The PK1A with a 10 gallon tank and a 50/70 pressure switch will work fine for that system.  I don't see a 15 GPM series Myers?  But the 12 GPM, 3/4HP would work.  You might also consider the 1HP, 33 GPM, Hallmark because of the price of 150 bucks.  It will build as much pressure as you need and even though it is a 33 GPM pump the CSV will make it into any size you need down to 1 GPM.

230 volt is best.  2 wire is fine.  3 wire is ok as well but needs a control box.

Bubba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
(Cary, I see you responded on the other forums as well. I'll take this conversation over there if that's OK with you.
)

OK thanks!

I've attached a link to the Pentair/Myers "Predator Plus" series of pumps https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/extranet/nam/myers/data-sheets/m9108ws-predator-series-ds.pdf, which includes the 15 gpm model.

If I have the choice, is 12 gpm or 15 gpm preferred? Also, it seems you would prefer to see a 1 hp on this system?

If I put a 33 gpm pump on the system, isn't there a bigger risk of running the well dry (if everything was turned on at the same time for example)?

Also, in your experience is the Grundfos better with the CSV valve than Meyers? In many posts you seem to prefer Grundfos pumps.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 01:53:32 PM by Bubba »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »
Well I have the granddaughter this weekend.  Don't have time to reply to everyone at TL until Monday.  At that depth the 15 GPM pump would better than the 12.  Myers makes good pumps in the all Stainless Steel ones with the straps down the side, as they are a copy of the Grundfos.  But the plastic impeller version like the one yo posted have "thrust pads", which means it is a floating stage type pump that I do not like.  Thrust pads and floating stage pumps are designed to wear out more predictably than floating stack type pumps.

The 1HP, 33 GPM pump will not pump the well dry because when using a Cycle Stop Valve it is not a 33 GPM pump.  The CSV sizes the pump to match the amount you are using.  So if you never use more than 10 GPM, the CSV never lets it pump more than 10 GPM.  it is just a cheap pump, that is as good as the floating stage Myers if not better.