Author Topic: Intermittent no water  (Read 821 times)

qdogg

• View Profile
Intermittent no water
« on: February 21, 2023, 08:11:34 PM »
Last few months I have been having a problem with no water on occasion. Recently it is happening more frequently.
If I turn off the breaker for the well pump and leave it off for about 10-15 minutes then turn it back on the water comes back on.
Well pump replaced about 3 years ago, pressure tank 2 years ago and pressure switch a few months ago.

From what I have tried to research, could the check valve built into the well pump have gone bad? Is this common on a fairly new well pump?

Thanks for any help!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Intermittent no water
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 10:37:21 AM »
Not likely a check valve problem, but possible.  If the check valve fails the pump will come back on even though no one is using water.  That will cause repetitive cycling that will trip the overload in the motor.  Cycling can also be caused by using small amounts of water for long time periods.  When a pump cycles on and off too much it will trip the overload in the motor.  This is an auto-resetting overload, which will cool down, reset, and start the pump again in a few minutes.  Turning on and off the breaker had nothing to do with it.

if the check valve on the pump is bad it will need to be replaced.  if the pump is cycling because of the way water is being used, adding a Cycle Stop Valve will solve that problem.

Overloads can trip for other reasons as well like low voltage, but most of the time cycling on and off is what causes all the problems.

qdogg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 06:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
But if I don't reset the breaker the water does not come back on...

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 06:52:06 AM »
Well now that makes me think you are pumping the well dry.  When the pump loses prime, it must usually be shut off, given time to burp, then re-started.  You need a clip around AC amp meter.  5 amps means a 1/2HP is pumping a lot of water.  Instantly dropping from 5 to 2 amps means it is out of water and trying to pump air.  Going from 5 amps to zero amps would mean the overload in the motor is tripping.

qdogg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 05:17:52 PM »
Thanks Cary. I think I am going to have someone come out and take a look at the system

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 06:45:49 AM »
You just need an amp meter.