Author Topic: Choosing CSV and System Configuration  (Read 2995 times)

EricD

• View Profile
Choosing CSV and System Configuration
« on: June 04, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »
Hi
 I am revamping a 20 year old house and irrigation system.  It has a few big issues one issue is during the winter  months the water becomes very dirty looking from colloidal clay not able see much light through a  glass of water.  During the summer irrigation season sand is a small issue fouling / damaging valve diaphragms. I am adding filtration to address the above issues.

I also want to add a Cycle stop Valve and would appreciate some help choosing.

I don't know the exact pump model.... But It is a Franklin 1HP Pump and draws 9.1 Amps when running irrigation.  Water static level in well is about 70' Pressure Switch is configured for 60LBS Start and 80Lbs Cutoff   Two Pressure tanks with a combined draw down capacity of  40Gal at the pressure band it is configured for. 1-1/4" PVC line from the well.  With Lots of Elbows and Tee's and a mixture of 3/4" PVC  The Irrigation system can sustain about 24GPM at 40LBS. I am hoping that with Proper sized piping I can sustain 24GPM or a little better with better pressure.

So The CVS1A seems like a great choice but its max flow is peaked at where my peak is and I hate to have it becoming a limiting factor. the  The CSV1's seem to be sensitive to dirt and  may leak a little over time and i hope not to have dampness in the well house.

Qestions:
If the CSV need a pre-filter what size mesh is needed to protect them from the sand? Will the colloidal clay be an issue?
What CSV valve is recommended?

Thanks in advance  ;D

--Eric

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Choosing CSV and System Configuration
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »
You really can't put in a small enough screen on a filter to get the clay, and the clay is not good for the CSV125.  Like you said you are maxing out the CSV1A at 24 GPM.  You could put two CSV1a vales in parallel. But there would still be the reduced pressure loss.  You would be more happy with the CSV3A2T.  It is made for much larger pumps and comes standard with a 5 GPM minimum, but we can customize one at about 2 GPM minimum for you at no extra cost.

EricD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
Thank You Cary,

I was hoping the clay would pass through with out causing an issue...

The CSV3A2T has a a great specification, cost has my head and wallet hurting but I want to do this once and not replace any more pumps. Current one has been replaced twice in 16 years. We will be adding a lot of drip systems in the next year and not worrying about sizing flows to keep the pump from cycling will be nice.  Lots of jerry-rigging possibilities come to mind but I am getting older and don't want to mess with any future issues. Do it right once and not have to mess with it......

I will get an order placed this week.

Thank you for the help.

--Eric

EricD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 06:10:56 PM »
Hi Cary, I got busy with grandkids and just got my valve ordered a week ago. It arrived it is a CSV3A2T customized to 2 Gal/Minute minimum flow.

In all your literature I am not finding a clear description of all  the ports. In particular there are two holes with PVC threaded Plugs. I am interested if the larger one can be used to fill the pressure tank? In either case a clear picture annotated to show the use of all the different ports would be appreciated,  my apologies if this already exists and I am just being blind. ::)

--Eric
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 06:13:38 PM by EricD »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 12:29:36 PM »
Sorry. Can't use those ports for anything. Not big enough for tank and won't have the right pressure for a switch or even a gauge.

EricD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »
No Problem, Thanks so much for the quick reply  8) ;D

EricD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 07:22:25 AM »
Hi Cary, I have my CSV3A2T customized to 2 Gal/Minute minimum flow installed. I needed a little help from your support team and they were wonderful to work with.

I do have a question. The CSV3A2T that was customized for me to a 2 Gal/Minute minimum flow does that mean it should be able to maintain a constant pressure say at 3 gal/minute usage so that the pressure does not build and reach cutoff? It seems that I need over 5 Gal/Minute for it to be able to keep the pressure constant.

Thanks again for a great product and support.

--Eric

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 08:15:11 AM »
Sorry for the delay.  I just saw this.  Call if you need help. 806 885 4445