Author Topic: Motor Bearing Problem from VFD  (Read 9476 times)

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Motor Bearing Problem from VFD
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
Question ask by a VFD customer.

I will start by stating I'm not a motor guy, I'm a water well contractor. The problem that I have run into is that I installed a all new vertical water lube turbine with a vertical hollow shaft motor, in a new well and new controls. This is a 150 hp 460 volt U.S. motor and Abb acs550 series drive. The pump runs as smooth as silk (no vibration)The pump load in under the bearing rating, and I can fine nothing wrong with the system.

The problem is that twice in the last six months the top bearing has start make horible noised and has had to be replaced under U.S. warranty. The motor shop is telling me that the cause of the bearing failure is "shaft current problems" caused be the relationship between the drive and motor. First, does this make sense? Also can some direct me to some reference material that is specific to hollow shaft motors? Finally, any ideas on preventing this in the future? Thanks for your help in advance.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:33:38 AM »
Answer from a VFD person.

Yes it makes sense, it is a well known phenomenon now. In a nutshell, the high speed switching if the transistors in the VFD causes capacitance to form between the rotor and stator. So a current wants to flow, but the only path it has is across the bearings and races. Even though the amount is small, eventually it acts like an EDM system and causes pitting in the races, which deteriorate the bearings rather quickly.

You can either have grounding bushings installed on the motor shaft, or you can attempt to ameliorate it with filtering of the VFD output with very specifically designed load filters for that purpose. The absolute best practice would be both.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Real Solution
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:50:02 AM »
There are many ways to try and mitigate the problem of EDM currents from VFD controls.  Electronic filters, shaft grounding brushes, and insulated ball bearings can help reduce the electrical fluting of ball bearings caused by VFD controls.  These can be expensive band aids and do not address the root cause of the problem which is the VFD itself.

The best way to completely eliminate the problem it to do away with the VFD altogether.  If the motor requires a soft start, then use a soft starter with a bypass contact.  If the motor does not require soft start, then use a standard Across The Line starter.  Either way this will completely eliminate the shaft or EDM currents from a VFD, that are the actual cause of the problem.

If the flow rate of the pump needs to be variable, then using a Cycle Stop Valve will easily accomplish this task without any of the problems associated with VFD controls.  If the pump was chosen well, restricting the flow with a Cycle Stop Valve will reduce the energy consumption of the pump exactly the same as would a VFD.  It is also interesting to note that anytime a pump is running at maximum out put, a VFD causes it to use 5% to 10% more energy than if the pump were running Across The Line using a CSV as flow control.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »
Reply from VFD installer.

I just got the report from the motor shop.  According to them "U.S. is refusing to warranty the motor because the bearing problem was caused by shaft current."  My frustration is that I purchased the VFD rated motor from them.  Theer's nothing in the manual that stated that I had to install brushes and filters.