Author Topic: What are the chances of Brush & Bailing well, increasing wells GPM?  (Read 1033 times)

Zoomschwortz

• View Profile
I have a nearly 60 year old, 1.250 GPM well. I have no way to prove it, but I am guessing that when the well was new, it had to have been producing more than 1.250 GPM.

I was talking with a local Well drilling company and they said that for just shy of $1,000 they could Brush my 65 foot well casing and Bail out the sediment from the bottom of the well.
In order to do the Brush & Bail, I will need to remove a portion of my pump house's new roof and cut a hole in the ceiling above my well casing to allow access to the well.

What are the odds of Brush & Bailing the well making any improvement in my GPM?
Is it usually successful or more than likely a bust?

If I get the Brush & Bail done, would there be any advantage in getting a plastic casing liner installed?

I have checked into getting a new well put in, but the County I live in is not exactly easy to work with when it comes to new wells, especially if there is already a producing well on the property. One well driller instructed me to tell the County that the well runs dry in the summer and technically it does run dry, but it doesn't stay dry and the well will usually have enough water to start up the pump in a few minutes.

Thank you for any help you can provide
Ken

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: What are the chances of Brush & Bailing well, increasing wells GPM?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 08:03:55 AM »
I could have swore I answered this.  I hate getting old.  Sorry. 

Brushing and bailing will usually help, especially with steel casing.  Most counties would consider 1.25 GPM a dry well.

Zoomschwortz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 09:59:14 AM »
Thanks Cary,
Yes, you did answer this question on another website.
I posted here the morning of Sat. Sept 30 and I posted on the other site that afternoon before you answered here.

I agree with you on 1.25 gpm being considered a dry well. Unfortunately common sense on the left coast is not as common as it is in Texas and the county I live in has an alternate sense of reality.

I will check again with the well drillers to see if there has been any changes, for the better, in my county.

What is the average percent of gpm increase that you have experienced with a brush and bail?

Would it usually be worth spending $1,000 and removing a new roof from a 12' tall pump house?

Thanks again
Ken

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 11:58:01 AM »
I have seen dramatic increases with steel casing.  PVC not so much.  But the brushing and bailing only cleans up the perforations so what water is there can get in.  If the water isn't there it won't help much.