Author Topic: Household Application - Unsure if working  (Read 10259 times)

scubaguyjohn

• View Profile
Household Application - Unsure if working
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
I installed the CSV1W in an above ground application (was told it could be used either in the well or above ground).  The valve is immediately before a water filter which is immediately prior to the pressure switch and tank.

The on/off for the pump is 40/60psi and the valve is at 50psi.  I confirmed the CSV 50PSI by running water in the mechanical room and observing at which point the valve holds the pressure (I lowered it from the factory preset of 60psi).

When one faucet or bathtub faucet is opened 100%, the valve believes its getting less than 1GPM and, therefore, lets the pump build pressure and shuts off at 60psi.  However, I gotta believe a bathtub faucet (not the showerhead) is putting out more than 1GPM.  If I crack open the faucet in the mechanical room while letting the bathtub faucet run open 100%, this provides enough water flow for the CSV to maintain 50psi and not allow the pump to cycle.

I guess what I'm saying with all this is if the CSV won't stop the pump from cycling when only one faucet is open 100% in a household application, the value of the CSV is greatly diminished.

Or did I install something incorrectly?!  Which may be the more appropriate question! :D

thanks, John

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »
Hi John
As long as the CSV is before the tank and before any water outlets, the pump should not cycle as long as you are using more than 1 GPM.  It may just be that the CSV is still adjusted too high.  Try adjusting the CSV to 55 PSI while you are running more than 1 GPM but, no more than 2 GPM.  If you adjusted the valve while using more water than this, the valve is just set too high.
Thanks
Cary

scubaguyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »
Quote from: "Cary Austin"
Hi John
As long as the CSV is before the tank and before any water outlets, the pump should not cycle as long as you are using more than 1 GPM.  It may just be that the CSV is still adjusted too high.  Try adjusting the CSV to 55 PSI while you are running more than 1 GPM but, no more than 2 GPM.  If you adjusted the valve while using more water than this, the valve is just set too high.
Thanks
Cary

thanks for the reply...i'm confused...you said the csv may be adjusted too high but you suggested adjusting it even higher to 55psi (vs 50 psi currently)...am I understanding you correctly?  

What's the relationship between the back pressure the valve creates and the cut off flow rate of 1GPM?  does the higher back pressure make the csv more sensitive to the low flow rate required to allow the pump to shut off?

thanks, John.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:31:54 PM »
I think you were just using too much water when you adjusted the valve.  I think it is really set higher than 60 at low flow.  Try adjusting it while you have only the sink running, and don't set it higher than 55 PSI.  When you use a lot of water the pressure will not be able to stay up to 55 PSI.  When using 10 GPM, that valve will give you 7 PSI less than when running 1 GPM.  So if you set while running too much water, it is really set higher than you think.

The back pressure is a function of how much the pump will build at low flow, and does not make the CSV more sensitive.

Let me know!
Thanks
Cary

scubaguyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »
I think you were just using too much water when you adjusted the valve.  I think it is really set higher than 60 at low flow.  Try adjusting it while you have only the sink running, and don't set it higher than 55 PSI.  When you use a lot of water the pressure will not be able to stay up to 55 PSI.  When using 10 GPM, that valve will give you 7 PSI less than when running 1 GPM.  So if you set while running too much water, it is really set higher than you think.

The back pressure is a function of how much the pump will build at low flow, and does not make the CSV more sensitive.

Let me know!
Thanks
Cary

Hi Cary - that seemed to do the trick...it feels to me that the brass adjustment screw is all the way out which results in the CSV holding a pressure of 58 psi ... what is the lowest PSI I should be able to achieve?  once the brass screw feels loose, is that the end of the adjustment range?  I'm doing the adjustments while running the water (kitchen faucet only), does that make a difference?

thanks, John.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:35:16 AM »
The spring is so short in those CSV1W's that you don't have much adjustment.  It should be able to go down to about 45 PSI but, if it is holding 58 at low flow, I wouldn't change a thing.

scubaguyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
The spring is so short in those CSV1W's that you don't have much adjustment.  It should be able to go down to about 45 PSI but, if it is holding 58 at low flow, I wouldn't change a thing.

thanks again...i'll leave well enough alone!