Author Topic: Can I set my pressure higher than 40/60 with a CSV?  (Read 1057 times)

chris886

• View Profile
Can I set my pressure higher than 40/60 with a CSV?
« on: February 06, 2022, 04:49:20 PM »
Hi all. We have two problems I'm trying to solve in our house we recently moved into. We're fighting miserably low pressure whenever we run more than one fixture in the house, and we both come from the city and are used to having a higher pressure than the 40/60 our switch is set too.

We have a 1HP submersible pump at about 70 ft giving 14 GPM on the well test and a newer 40 gallon bladder. Other items include an iron curtain, water softener and hot water return line. It's a bigger house with a few long runs to distant bathrooms.

I was initially considering a constant pressure system, but a CSV sounds like it might fix the low pressure problem. I'm hoping someone can confirm? Then I'm also wondering if our current setup would allow us to raise the set pressure to 70 or higher? It seems the CSV can support this, but not sure if other components in the system need to be rated for this as well?

Lastly, how do I go about getting a CSV installed? Would I contact a plumber or a well company? Should I expect them to be able to supply the CSV or get it myself and just pay them for the install?

Appreciate any help!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Can I set my pressure higher than 40/60 with a CSV?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 10:23:28 AM »
A 1HP, 10 GPM series pumping from less than 70' should be able to produce as much pressure as you want.  It is your water system.  You should be able to have as strong a pressure as you want.  You can make it much stronger than city pressure, but it is up to you.

With a 40 gallon size pressure tank you need to set the CSV1A for 55 PSI.  That alone will be much stronger than the 40 to 60 you are seeing now.  The CSV1A can be turned up as high as 150 PSI.  With a heavy duty pressure switch you could turn it up to 50/70, 60/80, or more if needed.  I run mine at 50/70 and with the CSV1A set for 65 PSI you will no longer even need soap in the shower.  Lol!