Author Topic: Getting ready to have a well drilled...  (Read 4540 times)

golferdude

Getting ready to have a well drilled...
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I am currently getting ready to locate a driller to drill a well to take care of the house and irrigation needs.  My house and irrigation is currently being served by a water system but they are now restricting any outdoor water with an irrigation system, only hand held watering allowed.   My irrigation system is currently set up to use the water meter sizing, 8.7 gpm but I would love to be able to increase that up to 12 (even up to 15 if possible) gpm to reduce the amount of time I would need to run the zones.   I have 10 zones and when I water the entire area, it takes about 10 hours.  My monthly water usage is around 54,000 gallons for both house and irrigation.  Normally the house is about 4,000 gallons a month.   In the past, we would be showering and the irrigation would be running at the same time.

Looking at state records on wells near me, my neighbor's well is 620 feet deep, and static water level is 400 feet.  His estimate flow is 200 gpm.  Another person just down the street is 605 feet deep, static level is 310 feet and estimate flow is 100 gpm.

Alot of the drillers around here are on the constant pressure system.  I like the idea of the CSV.  I am trying to figure out what all I would need.  Would I need a booster pump for the irrigation system?   I get a little confused when trying to figure out the various pieces.  Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks..

Karen Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Getting ready to have a well drilled...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Hello Golferdude
You shouldn't need a booster pump.  Just put a large enough pump in the well to give you the volume and pressure you need, and the CSV will make it do anything you want it to.  Once you know the well depth and water level, I can help you size a pump and a Cycle Stop Valve.  I would be very suspicious of any driller that is still selling variable speed pumps.  He/she has still got a lot to learn.  I wouldn't want them practicing on my well.

golferdude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:00:49 AM »
I have now talke with two drillers.  One doesn't recommend the CSV due to a bad experience he had with one.  THe other driller is ok with using it.  In talking with the latest driller, it looks like we are probably going with a 5 hp pump, to have at least 20 gpm at 50 psi.  I am trying to figure out would I be better off and putting in a 45 gal tank so most things wouldn't kick on the pump.  If I go with a 20 gal tank I am thinking almost anytime I go to the restroom, brush my teeth, wash my hands, etc, it will kick the pump on.  THoughts?

Also, I was looking at the CSV1Z as it looks like it field serviceable by me.  How often does the diaphram and seals have to be replaced?  How expensive are the kits?

THanks,

Jimmy

Karen Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:33:34 AM »
With a 5 HP, I would use a little larger tank as you are thinking.  Even an 80 gallon tank might be better.  An 80 gallon tank only holds 25 gallons of water, a 45 gallon tank only holds 12.  A 5 HP is OK, but don't use a 25 GPM series, it builds too much pressure for the CSV.  Use a 30 GPM series 5 HP, which will actually give you more GPM if you need it.  Any driller that claims to have had a bad experience with a CSV just doesn't know what he is doing.  Better off using the other guy.  You will also need a CSV1Z with a 3 GPM minimum for a 5 HP.  Cost the same just need to order it that way.  You can replace just the diaphragm or the gut pack in a CSV1Z, but it is rare to need it.