Author Topic: 1989 system update  (Read 7199 times)

Jfigueras

• View Profile
1989 system update
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
From all I've been reading, I think we need the CSV1 with small tank, but I want confirmation.

Pump is submersible 3/4HP, new in '97, in 110' well.  Pressure tank is original from 1989, Xtrol 203, running 40/60.  I just timed the cycle with one garden hose running, and the pump cycle was about one minute on and two minutes off.  [Air in Xtrol may be low--haven't checked.]

I filled a gallon jug at the kitchen sink (full force) with no other faucets open, and it took 40 seconds.  That is uncomfortably close to the 1GPM the CSV1 needs to keep the pump running.  If I didn't have the faucet full open, there could be cycling because I'd be under 1GPM, no?  And this may be the same with the garden hose because it's usually not running full open. 

Well head is about 120' from house and higher elevation than pressure tank; pressure at hose bib near tank is good. 

If I've missed anything in this description anyone wants to know, please ask.  Local well men want to sell us a Flexcon-12 pressure tank.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: 1989 system update
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:54:44 AM »
Doubling the size of tank would mean your pump would now run 2 minutes and be off 4 mimutes, it doesn't stop the cycling.  The only time a CSV system will cycle, is if you are using less than 1 GPM.  Then even with the samller WX203 tank, you can get 16 minutes off and 3 minutes on.  But the CSV will eliminate all cycling when using over 1 GPM, which is more common.

Jfigueras

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »
Thank you.  With such low flow to some parts of the house, might we not be better off pairing the CSV1 with a larger pressure tank, like the FL7 or 12?  I've read downsides in the forum about the time lag for tank to fill, but wouldn't one of these tanks reduce cycling more than the 4.5 gal. tank?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
The only time a larger pressure tank will help, is if you have a lot of long term uses of less than 1 GPM, which is rare.

As with your description of the kitchen faucet filling a one-gallon jug in 40 seconds, that is 1.5 gpm.  This much flow would keep the pump running continuously, so the size of the tank doesn’t matter.  If you don’t open the faucet all the way, the gallon of water in the 4.5 gallon tank will last much longer than 40 seconds.  Even if you only open the faucet to ½ of a gpm, the gallon in the 4.5 size tank would let your pump stay off for two minutes, and run for two minutes, which is still better than you are getting now with a larger tank and no CSV.

One gallon stored in the 4.5 gallon tank lets your ice maker fill, or you can rinse a toothbrush without the pump having to start.  Running more water than this like with a shower, garden hose, or filling a washing machine, a larger tank won’t help.  The pump will still have to come on, even with a tank that holds 12 gallons of water, because you will use more than 12 gallons.

The theory is that the CSV saves so many cycles for things like showers and garden hoses that run for long periods of time, that it doesn’t hurt for the pump to cycle each time a toilet is flushed by itself.  Then there is the fact that a toilet is rarely flushed all by itself.  If the shower is turned on or hands are being washed within a minute of the toilet flush, there is no extra cycle just for the toilet.  Even with the small tank on a CSV system, the pump usually comes on and stays on in the morning until everyone has showered and gone to school or work.  Then it may come on and stay on for a while in the evening when everyone is home using water again.  But during the times when few or no people are at home, it only comes on occasionally for things like the icemaker.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:58:35 PM by Cary Austin »

Jfigueras

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »
On your products page, I see CSV1 listed with pressure settings from 30 to 60; which do you recommend for our system?

Thanks for all your replies,
Joann

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »
With the small tank, you want the CSV pessure to be in the middle of the pressure switch settings.  In other words, if you have a 40/60 switch, you want a 50 PSI CSV.  The CSV1 and CSV1.25 are not adjustable.  But the CSV1W and CSV1A are adjustable.

Jfigueras

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:45:19 AM »
Last Question:  If I use a Flexcon FL-7 tank, pressure setting 40/60, which CSV1 do I want?  I notice in your reply to Brandymax who has a larger tank, you recommend 5 PSI less than cutoff.  Does this mean that I need the adjustable CSI1A to achieve a setting of 55PSI, or is the CSV1-50 OK?  [I don't have a problem with slight drip from CSV1.]

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
The CSV1-50 will work fine.  With that size tank you will get 2 to 3 minutes of run time with a standard 40/60 pressure switch.  It is the larger tanks where the CSV needs to be 5 PSI less than the pressure switch cut out.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:30:52 PM by Cary Austin »

Jfigueras

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »
Thank you! 

Now I just need to find someone to do it.  :)