Author Topic: CSV retrofit questions  (Read 4369 times)

DonD

• View Profile
CSV retrofit questions
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
Cary,

I have a 13 year old 200ft well and original 1/2 HP Goulds/Franklin 4" sitting @ 150 ft.  Steel casing extends down past the pump so I know it is bottom fed. Just installed an Irrigation system this year and am planning to install a CSV to give the pump a few more years, hopefully before I need to contemplate pulling it and getting it replaced (as you say, they don't build them like they used to).

Plenty of capacity, well was tested to 25 GPM sustained at install and I haven't seen any signs of drop off, just have had pressure problems on the 2nd floor. Pressure is definitely being impacted by the aerator/sand filter I had to have installed day one to help get the Iron oxide out, running a 30/50 switch from day one.

The 1 1/4" aerator is currently in the line first then a 1 1/4" flochek, followed by the tank tee with integrated switch, pressure relief, etc. Usual set up.  I would like to either install the CSV just before the aerator or maybe move the aerator to after the tank in the 3/4" supply to the house and irrigation, which would give me more space for the CSV install just before the flochek and tank "T" I think the flochek is there because of the 80 foot run to the well pitless fitting from the house, not sure why because from what  I understand there should be a flochek in the pump itself.

So: with the CSV in, I would switch to a 40/60 switch and get much better overall pressure, the tank currently holds about 5 or 6 gallons with it's current 28# pressure setting (set empty of course).  Does this sound like a solid application for CSV1A to you?  The aerator is my only concern.

thanks,

Don

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV retrofit questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:39:32 PM »
A 10 GPM, 1/2 HP pump can only reach 60 PSI if the water level in the well is less than 70' deep.  You may not be able to turn it up to 40/60.  You really need a 3/4 HP so you could turn the pressure up as much as you want.  I run 50/70 so I have good pressure upstairs, and I don't have a filter or anything else for restriction.

It takes a certain amount of flow rate to make an aerator work.  So with a 40/60 pressure switch, you need to set the CSV1A at 55 PSI.  That way you have enough flow to make the aerator work until the pressure gets to 55 and the CSV starts working.

I would put the CSV1A before the aerator to keep the aerator from seeing high pressure.  The CSV can give you as much pressure as you want, you just need a large enough pump to build that kind of pressure.

DonD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I'll probably increase the pump HP when I replace it.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
I would be glad to help you size a new pump.  Just let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks