Author Topic: Whole House Filter Advice  (Read 4411 times)

kirkdj

• View Profile
Whole House Filter Advice
« on: April 16, 2013, 10:49:06 PM »
Can you guys recommend a whole house filter?  I was looking to get one that had dual filters so I can clean one while keeping one in service..........for a 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath house..........new well.........haven't tested the water yet, but neighbors have told be of problems with some fine sand.........but my well is deeper than theirs, so I don't know if I will have a problem. 

Should I just try to put it on as soon as the house is finished or wait to see if there is a problem?  Can you usually see this stuff in a glass of water? or can it be too fine to see but it can still accumulate in the  lines?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Whole House Filter Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:21:34 AM »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  You can always add a filter later if needed.  But if you don't see or feel anything in the water, you don't need a filter.  Adding a filter when not needed is just adding something else to maintain.

KULTULZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:14:50 AM »
Let me add this-

I bought a house in WV and being a city boy on city water for all of my life, ass-u-med that the water would be safe.

Needless to say, it was undrinkable and had heavy mineral/sediment content. Now my plumbing is full of sediment and lime (including ruining a water heater) before finally installing a filter system.

I strongly advise having a thorough water test performed and that way you will know for certain what you are dealing with.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:20:12 AM »
I strongly advise having a thorough water test performed and that way you will know for certain what you are dealing with.

I agree.  It is always best to test the water.  You may not need a filter if you don't see or feel stuff in the water, but there are harmful things that you can't see.  Them something other than a filter is needed.