Author Topic: Redoing an old well, new to cycle stop valves  (Read 4992 times)

Aly67

• View Profile
Redoing an old well, new to cycle stop valves
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
I bought a home which is on a shared well which serves four houses.  The well is 200 feet deep.  Yesterday we had to replace the 22 year old pump that had been serving all four properties.  (It was a Gould 3/4 hp pump with a Franklin motor, if that matters)  The well guy replaced the old pump with another Gould, but he only had a 1 hp, also with a Franklin motor.  When we were pulling the pipe, it seemed as if the water level began about 60 feet into the well, judging from the stuff on the outside of the pipe.  The tank that has been in place for the 22 years is a 40 gallon I believe the well guy said. 

He suggests a bigger tank, or even two tanks to keep the pump from having to cycle on and off so much.  I have done enough research to understand why that is desirable, and of course, I agree.  However, in my research about tanks, I came across information about cycle stop valves, and it seems to me that it might actually be in our best interests to get one larger tank and a CSV instead of just two larger tanks. 

Our well guy did not mention CSVs at all, and I do not know if he is aware of them.  I wanted to try and get some information to present to him, in case he hadnt heard about CSV's as it certainly seems like it might be a really good thing for us to consider.  Can anyone tell from the little bit I knew enough to share here what we should be looking at or even if a CSV would be a good option for us?  Or if I havent given enough information, could you tell me what more I need to share to get some recommendations? 

Assume in your answer that you are talking to a complete layperson, because you are.  I do understand basically how the system works, how the tank, pressure switch, and pump operate as a system, and I did watch a video explaining how a CSV works, but thats about all I know.  :)  Thank you. 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Redoing an old well, new to cycle stop valves
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »
20 years ago I also would have recommended a larger tank or multiple tanks to limit the cycling.  However, since 1993, there has been a better way to do this.  The Cycle Stop Valve will “stop cycling” and lets the water go right past the pressure tank, straight to the faucet or shower.  So the tank is not even being used when more than 1 GPM of water is on and running.  Therefore, the tank is only for small uses when the pump is off, like filling an icemaker or rinsing a toothbrush.  All other water uses come straight from the pump, not the tank.  So with a CSV, you can use an even smaller tank.

Even for two houses you really don’t even need a 40 gallon size tank.  I would use 20 gallon size tank at the most, as a 4.5 gallon tank is really all you need. 

Water doesn’t come from the tank, it comes from the pump.  All the tank is for is to limit the cycling.  When using a Cycle Stop Valve the cycling is eliminated, so a very small tank is all you need.

The CSV will work with any size tank.  So if you still have a good 40 gallon size tank, you can use it with the CSV.  If you have to replace the tank, don’t go any larger than 20 gallon size.

Aly67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
There are four houses on the shared well, (a total of 12 individuals, 4 kitchens and at least 4 bathrooms) would you still recommend the 20 gallon sized tank?  And, if at all possible, could you recommend the sort of CSV that might work for us so that I can pull up some information on it?  I would love to have something to show the well guy, as I am pretty sure he doesnt know much about them.   Im willing to bet he will also see the beauty of it, as long as I dont butcher the explanation.  Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer. 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »
Yes 20 gallon tank is plenty for 4 houses.