Author Topic: Agriculture water system help.  (Read 4435 times)

farmerbrown

• View Profile
Agriculture water system help.
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:27:40 PM »
I need to replace the temporary pump on my broiler farm.  I'm not able to find anyone that installs cycle stop valves with in 150 miles of me and I think that my estimated flow rates scare a lot of people away.  With being under construction we have a lot of educated guesses.  We need 45 psi at the broiler house so 50PSI at the pumps.  POCO has a 3HP per motor limit (7.5HP limit on fire pumps).

We are planning on a max flow of 60 GPM and somewhere between 55,000 and 65,000 GPD.

Pulling water from a 100,000 gallon storage tank.  3HP booster pump with 100 gallon presser tank, switch set at 50 – 65.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Agriculture water system help.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
A CSV3B2T 2" Cycle Stop Valve is all you need for a pump that size.  The problem with a 3HP that pumps 60 GPM at 50 PSI is that it may not be able to build enough pressure to get to the shut off setting of the pressure switch.  If you are running the CSV pressure at 50 PSI, you need a pressure switch to shut the pump off at about 55 PSI.  So you need a pump that has a max pressure of at least 65 PSI.

A centrifugal pump will have a very flat curve and may not build that much pressure.  You can put a submersible pump over in the 100,000 gallon storage tank.  Submersibles have more impellers and can build more pressure to better work with a pressure switch in a case like this.

farmerbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:52:10 PM »
I'm not sure about using a submersible pump.  It would have to be hung from the top of the tank and I'm not sure if were able to do that.

I know that if I stick with centrifugal pumps that I will need 2 passable 3.

The current pump is able to build to 65PSI and cycle.  Right now we only have 3 of the 8 houses in production.  With all 8 houses in production and using a CSV I don't think the primary pump would cycle.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 06:55:54 AM »
I would like to see a curve for that pump.  We need to know if it can just barely reach 65 or if it has some room left.  You don't want to shut a pump off at its maximum pressure.  When it wears just 1% it won't be able to shut off and will get hot.  You don't have to hang a sub from the top. It can lay on its side on the bottom as in this picture.

farmerbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
The pump I'm using is a Dayton 5UXJ5.  I be it's right at it's limit at 65PSI.

After I thought about it I know I could use a submersible pump.  My first thought was I would need a small crane to pull the pump, but thought of a better way (man hole is 12' high).

What submersible pump would you recommend?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 07:31:35 AM »
These subs will max out at 72 PSI or better.  Which is really what you need to run a 40/60 pressure switch and a 55 PSI CSV setting.

55GS30 Goulds

60S30-5 Grundfos

L50P  Sta-Rite

And I'll bet Dayton has one similar as well.

The picture of the sub on it side is good except that it needs flow inducer or motor shroud when laying in a storage tank.

farmerbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 05:49:25 PM »
Ok I’m on track and thanks for the help.