Author Topic: Is a CSV right for me?  (Read 5384 times)

wowwee

• View Profile
Is a CSV right for me?
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:02:58 AM »
Hi There, I am wondering if a cycle stop valve is right for our situation.

I have a 100' deep well, with a 1/2 HP pump sitting close to the bottom, and there is at least 45' feet of water above the pump. Lucky to live in Wisconsin where we are water rich. Our water quality is nice too, just some hardness.

We don't use a lot of water, we are empty nesters now. The only times we turn the water on and really let it run for awhile is during a shower, washing machine use, or very occasional garden or flower watering, and water softener regeneration. Otherwise it's just minor short usage situations.

I'm having a hard time determining if a cycle stop or a bigger tank is better.

System works OK now, but I have one of the Well Mate fiberglass tanks that is 7 years old with a bad reputation. I also want to move the pressure tank etc... to the other side of the room it is in for better use of space. Trying to plan ahead here.

I am also looking for ideas to quiet the humm noise of the pump, transmitted through the pipes, into the house.

What do you think?

Thanks, Dale

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Is a CSV right for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:48:50 PM »
There are several CSV’s that would work great with that pump.  For indoor installation using the little 4.5 gallon size tank, I recommend the Pside-Kick kit.  It comes with the CSV1A valve, 4.5 gallon tank, pressure switch, and everything you need to replace a big tank.

The little 4.5 gallon size tank is not much bigger than a basketball, which really cuts down on the space needed, no matter what side of the room it is in.

With the CSV and small tank the pump may have to cycle every time a toilet is flushed by itself, but it only cycles once for each shower or irrigation zone in the yard.

With the large tank and no CSV, the pump may not cycle for every toilet flush, but it cycles multiple times repeatedly for as long as a shower or a sprinkler is running.

For this reason the number of pump cycles between a big tank and a small tank with a CSV will be about the same for house use.  But the longer the showers and the longer the irrigation zones the more the CSV reduces the number of pump cycles.

Save yourself some space and money by using the CSV and 4.5 gallon size tank.  The pressure will be much better in the house and the pump will last longer as it will cycle less overall.

A short piece of high pressure rubber hose between the well piping and house piping will isolate the hum of the pump from the house.

wowwee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
Thanks for the quick answer, I guess I should think long term and go for the CSV method. Thanks.

wowwee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »
Something else I thought of now. I have a 10' section of 1" PEX pipe before the water gets to the pressure tank and switch area. The animation shows that the pressure can get pretty high between the pump and pressure switch. What kind of pressure do you think I will see at that point with the description I gave of my system? Will the PEX pipe and cinch clamps be able to handle that?

Thanks again, Dale

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:12:10 PM »
A 1/2HP, 10 GPM pump can only build 96 PSI less the depth to water.  So the Pex should not be a problem.

wowwee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »
Finally installing my cycle stop valve. I know the valve must be installed in the supply line before the pressure tank or any other items, but does the distance between the the valve and tank matter? Example: Installing the valve a few feet above and a couple feet to the side of the tank, so there is 5 feet of pipe before the water gets to the tank and pressure switch?

Thanks, Dale

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:42:38 AM »
1 1/4" and 1" CSV's can be installed as far as necessary from the pressure tank.  As long as the CSV is before any water lines that tee off or the pressure tank, distance doesn't matter.  You can install the CSV in the well or at the well, and the pressure tank can be several football fields away, and it will work fine.