Author Topic: Sediment Filter  (Read 4768 times)

gaffcat

• View Profile
Sediment Filter
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »
I currently have a 1/2hp shallow well jet pump and I want to add a csv valve and replace the 1/2hp pump with a 3/4 or 1hp pump.  There is sand in my system and I am concerned about the csv valve and sand. I have read on this forum about installing a filter before the csv and it is noted that there is high pressure between the pump and csv and a filter needs to be able to handle this. Is there an estimate of the pressure that would be in my system? I have seen the Sandmaster mentioned and have searched for alternatives but all I have found are filters that are recommended for installation after the pump and pressure tank. The Sandmaster is probably the way to go.

I have another question concerning check valves. I would probably buy the pside-kick kit. At least one photo I have seen shows a check valve mounted on the pump before the pside-kick but there is no check valve included in the kit and none shown in the installation instructions. Is the check valve required?

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Sediment Filter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »
A 4/4HP or even 1HP jet pump can only build 70-85 PSI max.  So almost any filter should be able to handle that, which makes it no problem to put the filter before the CSV.

And yes a check valve is needed.  It can be on the discharge side of the pump prior to the Pside-Kick kit, or can be on the suction side of the pump.  If the pump is lifting from a well and has a footvalve, the footvalve is the only check valve you need.

gaffcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:36:22 AM »
You say a 1 hp jet pump can only build 70-85 PSI max. Can a 1/2hp jet pump build 60 psi? My pump currently has a 30-50 psi switch. I ordered a CSV12550-1 valve and a 40-60 switch and plan to try it with my current 1/2hp pump and see how it goes. My well water level is about 15' and I think that might have a bearing on pump performance.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:48:38 AM by gaffcat »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
The 15' depth to water does have make a difference.  But it all depends on the pump brand and specs.  Some 1/2 HP jet pumps can easily build that pressure, others cannot.  Do you have a model number?