Author Topic: CSV12550-1 install questions  (Read 7355 times)

jferello

• View Profile
CSV12550-1 install questions
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:37:26 AM »
Hello,

I just bought my CSV12550-1 for my pump system.

Here are my specs, do you see any issues with this?
- I have a Goulds 10GS05412L which is a 10GPM 1/2 horse
- Well is 64'
- Pump is at 48'
- Static is 22'
- Incoming pipe to tank is 1"
- Pressure tank is 20gal
- Just bought a new 40/60 Square D pressure switch to go with new CSV

Question 1 - My well has a very high iron sulfide content, will this eventually clog the CSV?
Question 2 - Since my CSV is 50, my pressure switch is 40/60, should my bladder be like 30 or 35 or 38?
Question 3 - Since my incoming well pipe is 1" is it ok that I am adapting the 1" to the 1 1/4" on the CSV and then going back to 1" after the CSV?
Question 4 - Right now, if someone is in the shower and washer goes on all water to shower stops, will this help with that?  Even if someone flushes the toilet the shower water goes to a trickle.

Thanks for the information.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV12550-1 install questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »

Question 1 - My well has a very high iron sulfide content, will this eventually clog the CSV?
Question 2 - Since my CSV is 50, my pressure switch is 40/60, should my bladder be like 30 or 35 or 38?
Question 3 - Since my incoming well pipe is 1" is it ok that I am adapting the 1" to the 1 1/4" on the CSV and then going back to 1" after the CSV?
Question 4 - Right now, if someone is in the shower and washer goes on all water to shower stops, will this help with that?  Even if someone flushes the toilet the shower water goes to a trickle.

It would have been better to use a CSV1A with the iron problem, as it is easily cleanable.  Iron won't clog the flow in the CSV125 valves, but they vent air out the side, and the iron can clog the air vents.  This can make the valve lock in the open position and the pump will just cycle on/off when it should not.  But if it takes 3-5 years or more to cause this problem, the CSV125 can be replaced 3 times for the price of the CSV1A.  If the CSV125 doesn't last long enough, just switch to the CSV1A valve next time.

With a 40/60 pressure switch you want about 35 PSI air charge in the tank.

Since the CSV125 is 1 1/4" you just need a couple of 1 1/4 X 1 threaded bushings to make it fit 1" pipe.

The CSV should help with the shower pressure problem.  Normally the shower pressure only goes to a trickle when the pressure tank is almost down to 40 PSI before the pump starts.  Once the pump is on, the CSV should hold a steady 50 PSI until and unless you use more water than the pump can supply.  This 50 PSI constant from the pump and CSV will give much better pressure in the shower than when water is coming from the tank, even when other fixtures are using water at the same time.

jferello

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:12:28 PM »
Cary,

Thanks for the information.  I will most likely get the CSV1A next year when I replace my 20gal tank.

I will be installing the CSV tonight, so hopefully all goes well.

Thanks again for the great information.
Justin

jferello

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:54:02 AM »
Cary,

I installed the valve last night, not working as well as I hoped but I think that is my well's problem.  The pressure seems to slowly drop to around 40 psi from 50.

During the process of cutting in the new valve I found that all the well pipe has about 1/4" of iron build up in it.

Any ideas how I could get this out without replacing all the well piping?

Also, you should recommend installing some sort of drainage pipe before the CSV if you have sediment that may clog the valve.  I learned this the hard way last night.

Thanks,
Justin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:55:58 AM by jferello »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:59 PM »
Anytime the pressure is below 50 PSI, the 50 PSI Cycle Stop Valve is wide open like a piece of pipe.  The low pressure is because you are using more water than the pump can produce, or the pipe is restricted and preventing the pump from producing as much as is being used.

Our instructions say to pump any sediment out of the well and pipe prior to installing the CSV.  A tee with a ball valve on the well head would let you do this while the CSV is installed, if that is going to be a common thing needed.

We also do not recommend using the plastic CSV125 valves where iron buildup is a problem.  It will clog up the CSV, and in the case of the plastic CSV125, will make it leak on the floor.  For wells with iron or sediment problems we recommend the CSV1A, as it is easy to clean and will not leak when clogged with iron or debris.

jferello

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »
Cary,

Looks like my valve is starting to clog :(  The pump is running shorter and shorter cycles, it is not leaking yet though.  I just ordered the CSV1A since I will need to clean it often.  I have not checked the FAQ section, but how does one clean the CSV1A?

Thanks,
Justin

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »
The red top just unscrews and pull the cartridge out.  Then you can clean it and drop it right back in.

jferello

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 03:40:04 PM »
Cary,

Can the CSV1A be mounted upside down?  I am trying to build something like the pside kit, but the only tanks I find have to have the water connection on the bottom of the tank.  I would buy the pside kit but I already have a new CSV1A and pressure switch..

Thanks,
Justin

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
Yes the 1A can be installed inany position.  We can also get you a Pside-Kick less the CSV1A and pressure switch if you like.  It would be less 206.50 for the 1A and less 20 for the switch.

jferello

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
Cary,

How much for the following "kit":
- Pside tank
- Wall bracket
- Pressure gauge
- Pressure relief valve
- Adapter that goes between pressure switch an 1A for the pressure gauge

Then how would I order this custom kit?

Thanks,
Justin

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:13:13 AM »
The kit less CSV and switch would be 168.50 including freight.  Just have to call to order as it is not on the cart.